- Title: France starts clearing "jungle" migrant camp in Calais
- Date: 24th October 2016
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) MIGRANTS QUEUING OUTSIDE HANGAR LUGGAGE MIGRANTS QUEUING MIGRANT STACKING SUITCASE SUITCASE VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS QUEUING LUGGAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) SUDANESE MIGRANT WHO DID NOT WISH TO GIVE HIS NAME SAYING: "All Europe - same. But now this country - the Sudanese give, Sudanese - negative after, they give positively but they sleep outside. This country is problem. But now I'm going to the big city, look. Give me a positive house, a school, no problem. No give me this, I'll go outside of this country." VARIOUS OF QUEUE LUGGAGE MIGRANT WAITING VARIOUS OF QUEUE
- Embargoed: 8th November 2016 07:07
- Keywords: France migrants Calais French government makeshift camp Jungle queue possessions
- Location: CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00155D54QV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of migrants carrying suitcases and bundles of possessions queued outside a hangar outside Calais on Monday (October 24) to be resettled as the French government started clearing a makeshift camp known as the "Jungle".
Armed police fanned out around the warehouse and across the squalid shanty-town after a night during which small groups of migrants burned toilet blocks and hurled stones at security forces in protest at the plans to dismantle the camp.
60 buses were waiting to take them to centres across France where they will be given health checks and decide whether to apply for asylum.
Many were pleased to go, given the conditions in the squalid camp.
"This country is a problem. But now I'm going to the big city, look. Give me a positive house, a school, there's no problem. No give me this, I'll go outside of this country," said one Sudanese migrant who did not wish to give his name.
The demolition of the camp is expected to take place later in the week.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None