- Title: Iraqi army's elite unit attack Islamic State in village close to east Mosul
- Date: 24th October 2016
- Summary: BAZWAIA, NINEVEH GOVERNORATE, IRAQ (OCTOBER 24, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING OVER VILLAGE AND AIR STRIKE HITTING TARGET / MORE VIEWS OF SMOKE RISING OVER VILLAGE HOUSE WITH DESTROYED ROOF COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICE'S ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER IN VILLAGE SEVERAL ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIERS IN VILLAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICE MEMBER, ALAA RAHIM, SAYING: "The counter terrorism operation started at 4 am and God willing we will continue to advance towards Bazwaia." IRAQI FLAG AND OTHER UNIDENTIFIABLE FLAGS FLYING FROM VILLAGE ROOFTOPS IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES FIRING MORTAR IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SOLDIER HOLDING MORTAR IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SOLDIERS TAKING MORTAR FROM PACKAGING IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SOLDIERS FIRING MORTAR VARIOUS OF IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SOLDIERS LOADING ROCKETS INTO ROCKET LAUNCHER COLONEL FALAH FADER FROM COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SPEAKING TO COLLEAGUES AND MAN IN BULLET-PROOF VEST STARS ON SHOULDER OF COLONEL FALAH FADER'S UNIFORM (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COLONEL FALAH FADER, LEADER IN THE COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES, SAYING: "Today the Counter Terrorism Services began from the early morning hours to cleanse the area and the villages between Tabia and Bartella, including villages of Khazma, Tabba, Jameel military camp, Tahrawa village and other small villages in the outskirts (of Bartella). Today, our troops advanced seven kilometres (four miles), six to seven kilometres away from Mosul." VARIOUS OF IRAQI COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICES SNIPER ON ROOF SUN SETTING
- Embargoed: 8th November 2016 15:06
- Keywords: Iraq Islamic State ISIS IS Golden Division Mosul Bazwaia
- Location: BAZWAIA, NINEVEH GOVERNORATE, IRAQ
- City: BAZWAIA, NINEVEH GOVERNORATE, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00155D7M13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Iraq army's elite fighting unit, the Counter Terrorism Service (CTS), launched an assault on the village of Bazwaia on Monday (October 24), as part of a campaign to recapture the city and its surrounding areas.
The CTS, also known as the "Golden Division" fired mortars and rockets as they advanced on the village close to the Christian town of Bartella, from which Islamic State were rid last week.
The area is approximately five to seven kilometres (three to four miles) east of Mosul.
The Mosul campaign, which aims to crush the Iraqi half of Islamic State's declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria, may be the biggest battle yet in the 13 years of turmoil triggered by the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, and could require a massive humanitarian relief operation.
The Iraqi force attacking Mosul is 30,000-strong, joined by U.S. special forces and under American, French and British air cover.
The number of insurgents dug in the city is estimated at 5,000 to 6,000 by the Iraqi military.
The Iraqi army's press office said a total of 78 villages and town have been recaptured between October 17, when the Mosul operation started, and until Sunday (October 23) evening.
Some 1.5 million residents remain in the city and worst-case forecasts see up to a million being uprooted, according to the United Nations.
The distance from the frontlines to the built-up area of Mosul ranges from 40 kilometres (25 miles), in the south, to 5 kilometres at the closest, in the east.
U.N. aid agencies said the fighting has so far forced about 6,000 to flee their homes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None