- Title: UN sends aid to Iraq amid Mosul offensive
- Date: 22nd October 2016
- Summary: DUBAI, UAE (OCTOBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FORKLIFT TRUCK TRANSFERRING AID PACKAGES ONTO FLATBED TRUCK UNHCR TENT WITH DUMMY WEARING BODY ARMOUR AND OTHER EQUIPMENT 'UNHCR' LOGO ON TENT VARIOUS OF FORKLIFT TRUCK TRANSPORTING AID PACKAGES 'UNHCR' STICKER ON AID PACKAGE VARIOUS OF FORKLIFT TRUCK TRANSFERRING AID PACKAGES ONTO FLATBED TRUCK (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SENIOR GLOBAL SUPPLY OFFICER, SOLIMAN MOHAMED DAWOUD, SAYING: "The organisation is sending planes carrying 7,000 tents from its main warehouses in Dubai and Amman to Erbil to help those affected in Mosul." TRUCK CARRYING AID PACKAGES UNHCR STICKER ON AID PACKAGE VARIOUS OF TRUCKS CARRYING AID PACKAGES LEAVING WAREHOUSE AREA
- Embargoed: 6th November 2016 13:44
- Keywords: Mosul Iraq aid Dubai UNHCR
- Location: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- City: DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- Country: United Arab Emirates
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0015535BGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.N. refugee agency, UNHCR, sent truckloads of aid to Iraq on Saturday (October 22) as the battle to retake Mosul from Islamic State continued.
At its warehouse in Dubai, the UNHCR loaded packages containing 7,000 tents onto trucks, in preparation for the aid to be flown to northern Iraq.
The United Nations expects up to one million people could flee their homes in Mosul, Islamic State's de facto Iraqi capital. Critics say preparations for the humanitarian and political fallout of the offensive have not kept pace with military gains.
There is no clear plan yet for how Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city, will be managed if and when it is recaptured, or how pro-government forces will be positioned to avoid aggravating ethnic and sectarian tensions in the diverse region.
Iraqi and Kurdish forces have seized territory around Mosul in recent days in preparation for the long-anticipated offensive on the last major stronghold held by Islamic State in Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None