- Title: Iraq declares curfew in oil city under Islamic State attack
- Date: 21st October 2016
- Summary: KIRKUK, IRAQ (OCTOBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS FOR AGENCY POOL) KURDISH PESHMERGA FIGHTERS TAKING COVER BEHIND CONCRETE SLAB IN STREET WITH ONE FIRING RIFLE / AUDIO: GUNFIRE ONLOOKERS AND ARMED PESHMERGA STANDING UNDER TREES ON ROADSIDE ARMED PESHMERGA FIGHTERS TAKING FIRING POSITION ON PAVEMENT BULLET HOLES ON METAL SHEET ARMED PESHMERGA FIGHTERS WALKING IN STREET KURDISH POLICEMAN PUSHING WOUNDED PESHMERGA OFFICER IN WHEELCHAIR WITH RIFLE ON HIS LAP / AUDIO: GUNFIRE PESHMERGA FIGHTERS TRYING TO ENTER ABANDONED HOTEL TO TAKE POSITION ON ROOF AND ATTACK ISLAMIC STATE MILITANTS POSITIONED ON OPPOSITE BUILDING / SOLDIER SMASHING WINDOW / SOLDIER ASCENDING SPIRAL STAIRCASE / SOLDIER SIGNALLING FROM ROOF OF BUILDING NEARBY
- Embargoed: 5th November 2016 10:04
- Keywords: Kirkuk Iraq Mosul attack assault army Pesmerga Kurdish
- Location: KIRKUK, IRAQ
- City: KIRKUK, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00154Y7K93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Suspected Islamic State militants attacked several buildings and a power station in the northern Iraqi oil city of Kirkuk in the early hours of Friday (October 21), killing eight people, with some of the attackers remaining holed up in a mosque and a hotel, security sources said.
Authorities have declared a curfew in the city, where six members of the Iraqi security forces were killed along with two Iranians who were part of a team carrying out maintenance in a power station outside the city, according to a hospital source.
At least eight militants were also killed, either by blowing themselves up or in clashes with the security forces, the security sources said. Kurdish forces had dislodged the militants from all the buildings they had seized except a hotel and a mosque, where fighting continued.
The attacks in Kirkuk came four days after Kurdish and Iraqi forces have started an offensive with the backing of a U.S.-led coalition to take back Mosul, the jihadist militia's last major city stronghold in Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None