- Title: Argentine waiters race to the finish carrying a loaded tray
- Date: 22nd October 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF WAITERS WALKING FAST VIEW OF BACKSIDES OF WAITERS RACING
- Embargoed: 6th November 2016 21:58
- Keywords: race servers waiters waitresses
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0025536T6R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:It was a race to the finish Saturday (October 22) afternoon along Buenos Aires' central Avenida de Mayo as hundreds of waiters competed to see who could successfully carry a loaded tray to the finish.
Dressed in their uniforms and armed with loaded trays, they rushed down the 1.6 kilometre, or one mile, track.
Using just one hand, each competitor held a tray with a plastic soda bottle and a glass of liquid.
The trick was to be first, without the bottle falling over or spilling the liquid.
Winner Cati Contreras Garcia, originally from Ecuador, says she has competed for years and is usually among the top finishers, but this year, made up her mind that she would win.
"I have been competing for six years and I always end up fourth, or third, or the items fall just as I reach the podium. But this year I told myself, 'No, I will make it. I will make it,' and I made it," she said.
Victor Claudio Herrera won in the over-40 category with a bit of advice that might work as well for life as for the contest.
"I concentrate much on what I am doing. I don't look to the sides or anything, just straight ahead. You have to walk without looking to the sides because, if not, it will make you lose the race," he said.
The race has been held for 12 years and winners are awarded cash prizes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.