- Title: Pregnant women among 434 migrants rescued off Libya
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: VIBO MARINA, VIBO VALENTINA, SOUTHERN ITALY (OCTOBER 22, 2016) (REUTERS) RESPONDER VESSEL ARRIVING AT VIBO MARINA RESPONDER ARRIVING /TEMPORARY RED CROSS TENTS VARIOUS OF RESPONDER ARRIVING WITH 434 MIGRANTS ON BOARD MEMBER OF THE RESCUE TEAM USING RADIO ON GANTRY OF RESPONDER SHIP MIGRANTS WITH FOIL BLANKETS ON THEIR HEADS TO PROTECT THEM FROM THE SUN WAITING TO DISEMBARK INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE RED CROSS (IFRC) WORKER, DOCTOR KIMBERLEY DE SOUZA, TALKING TO IFRC EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS DELEGATE (SOUNDBITE) (English) INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE RED CROSS (IFRC) WORKER, DOCTOR KIMBERLEY DE SOUZA, SAYING: "So in the last 48 hours we did three rescue missions, we saved 434 migrants, and we've been providing post-rescue healthcare around the clock." FEMALE MIGRANT BEING LED OFF SHIP WOMAN COVERED IN BLANKET DISEMBARKING FROM SHIP FEMALE MIGRANT AND HER CHILD BEING GIVEN A MEDICAL CHECK GROUP OF WOMEN IN BLACK JUMPERS WALKING UP GANGWAY DE SOUZA TALKING TO A ROW OF FEMALE MIGRANTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE RED CROSS (IFRC) WORKER, DOCTOR KIMBERLEY DE SOUZA, SAYING: "There is about two dozen women that had significant painful burns on their buttocks. They were sitting in these dinghies that had water and fuel at the bottom. So they were sitting in fuel, their skin had really broken down so we had to do quite a few dressing changes to manage these burns and provide medication and pain relief because they were very painful." RESPONDER SHIP MOORED BEHIND TEMPORARY MEDICAL TENT WHERE MIGRANTS ARE ASSESSED MALE MIGRANTS TALKING TO REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE UNITED NATIONS REFUGEE AGENCY (UNHCR) MIGRANT FROM GHANA AND VOLUNTEER WITH MONTELEONE PROTEZIONE CIVILE, ISAAC ODURO, TALKING TO COLLEAGUE OUTSIDE A MEDICAL TENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) MIGRANT FROM GHANA AND VOLUNTEER WITH MONTELEONE PROTEZIONE CIVILE, ISAAC ODURO, SAYING: "Wow, OK, I'm from Ghana, I passed through Libya, and I got rescued and taken to Italy." DOCTORS AND NURSES HELPING A GROUP OF FEMALE MIGRANTS OUTSIDE A TENT GROUP OF MALE MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING FROM SHIP ODURO AND FELLOW VOLUNTEER TALKING OUTSIDE A TENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) MIGRANT FROM GHANA AND VOLUNTEER WITH MONTELEONE PROTEZIONE CIVILE, ISAAC ODURO, SAYING: "OK, right now I am at the camp, going to school, school right now, trying to learn the Italian language, yeah." GIRL HOLDING STUFFED UNICORN TOY OUTSIDE LOCAL AMBULANCE LOCAL AMBULANCE VAN WITH GROUP OF LOCALS AND MIGRANT GIRL STANDING OUTSIDE VARIOUS OF MOTHER AND BABY BEING LOOKED AFTER INSIDE AMBULANCE MOTHER AND CHILD BEING ESCORTED TO WAITING COACH VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS SITTING AND WAITING INSIDE COACH
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 18:39
- Keywords: Vibo Marina Viba Valentina Italy migrants refugees rescue Libya coast
- Location: VIBO MARINA, VIBO VALENTINA, SOUTHERN ITALY
- City: VIBO MARINA, VIBO VALENTINA, SOUTHERN ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015586LVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A search and rescue vessel arrived in southern Italy on Saturday (October 22) carrying 434 migrants following their rescue from three rubber boats off the coast of Libya.
The Responder, a ship chartered by the Migrant Offshore Aid Station, docked in the port of Vibo Valentia having carried out three separate rescues in 48 hours of rubber boats full of men, women and children in international waters off the coast of Libya.
Among the group were 60 women, eight children, including a two-day-old baby, and four pregnant women.
Some migrants were unconscious when they were found and were given emergency medical care once onboard the Responder by members of the International Federation of the Red Cross.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None