- Title: Kirkuk residents back in streets after Islamic State attack ends
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: KIRKUK, IRAQ (OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON ROAD / SECURITY TROOPS CHARRED EXTERIOR OF A BUILDING DAMAGED BY THE ISLAMIC STATE ATTACKERS CHARRED EXTERIOR OF BUILDING RESIDENTS AND TRAFFIC IN FRONT OF MOSQUE WHERE THE ATTACK TOOK PLACE VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS WALKING AND SHOPPING SHOPKEEPER ARRANGING HIS WARES VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, MOHSEN RASHEED, SAYING: ''The security situation was bad during the past two days in Kirkuk because the terrorists Daesh (Islamic State) attacked the city. But Peshmerga and other Kurdish security forces were able to defeat them. So, we are not afraid of such attacks as long as such strong force are in Kirkuk. Now the situation is normal. The situation is good and life has returned to normal. Look at the havoc and sabotage they caused.'' VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SHOPPING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, ABDUL-RAHMAN AHMED, SAYING: ''Kirkuk has witnessed two tragic days due to the attack launched by Daesh. They damaged some areas. God willing, such assault will never take place again with the support and alertness of Peshmerga and other security forces. Now life has returned to normal.'' TRAFFIC POLICEMAN DIRECTING CARS TRAFFIC ON ROAD EXTERIOR OF BUILDING OF KURDISH SECURITY ORGANISATION CALLED "ASAYISH" ASAYISH IN-CHARGE, CAPTAIN FIRHAD HAMA ALI, SEATED IN HIS OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ASAYISH IN-CHARGE, CAPTAIN FIRHAD HAMA ALI, SAYING: "Thanks to almighty God, we are able to repulse and to defeat an attack launched against the city of Kirkuk by 35 to 45 terrorists. Most of the attackers were killed. We would like to assure the residents that the situation is under control and the security situation is good.'' VARIOUS OF STREETS
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 11:35
- Keywords: Kirkuk Islamic State residents post-attack normal life
- Location: KIRKUK, IRAQ
- City: KIRKUK, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001558545J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk were back in the streets after a curfew was lifted on Sunday (October 23), following an attack by Islamic State.
Eighteen members of security forces and workers at a power station were killed when the militants launched a huge attack on Friday.
Security forces gained full control of the city on Saturday.
The official in charge of Asayhish, or the security organisation of the regional Kurdish government said "35 to 45 terrorists" were killed in the operation.
Iraqi forces, backed by a Kurdish fighters and a U.S.-led coalition launched an offensive to drive out the militants from Mosul city on Monday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None