- Title: Vote count begins in Lithuania election run-off
- Date: 23rd October 2016
- Summary: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA (OCTOBER 23, 2016) (REUTERS) COMMISSION MEMBERS OPENING BALLOT BOX AND EMPTYING IT ON TABLE BALLOT PAPERS ON TABLE VARIOUS OF VOTE COMMISSION MEMBERS COUNTING VOTES BALLOT PAPERS VARIOUS OF ELECTION COMMISSION MEMBERS COUNTING BALLOT PAPERS
- Embargoed: 7th November 2016 18:33
- Keywords: Vote count Lithuania election run-off parliament vote ballot
- Location: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA
- City: VILNIUS, LITHUANIA
- Country: Lithuania
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015586S7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Vote counting began late on the evening of Sunday (October 23) after Lithuania held a run-off for Parliamentary elections.
The centre-right opposition is likely to oust the current coalition which has failed to rejuvenate the country's sluggish economy.
The opposition Homeland Union party and Lithuanian Peasants and Greens parties won 40 seats between them in the first round of the election and are projected to end up with 60 to 102 seats in the 141-member parliament after regional run-offs, data on the state election commission's website showed.
The opposition says it will boost foreign investment in the former Soviet republic and tackle emigration to wealthier parts of the European Union.
The first round of the election determined around half the seats in parliament based on proportional representation. The second round, which elects the second half of the parliament, is a regional run-off between the top two candidates in regions where no candidate got above 50 percent of the vote.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None