- Title: Iraqi forces liberate sulphur factory south of Mosul from Islamic State
- Date: 21st October 2016
- Summary: SHOURA, SOUTH OF MOSUL, IRAQ (OCTOBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEAVY SMOKE RISING ON HORIZON FROM A MATCH FACTORY TARGETED BY ISLAMIC STATE VARIOUS OF IRAQI JOINT FORCES ARMOURED VEHICLES GATHERED NEARBY VARIOUS OF IRAQI JOINT FORCES ARMOURED VEHICLES IN FRONT OF HEAVY WHITE SMOKE MEMBERS OF THE IRAQI ARTILLERY POLICE CARRYING BAG CONTAINING PROJECTILES MILITARY OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS GATHERING FOR MEDIA BRIEFING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HEAD OF IRAQI ARTILLERY POLICE UNIT, BRIGADIER GENERAL FALEH HASSAN BADDAYA, SAYING: "The joint artillery police were able to secure the districts between Qayyara and the sulphur factory, and to liberate 20 villages, and destroy 34 car bombs." VARIOUS OF MISSILES CAPTURED FROM ISLAMIC STATE FORCES LYING ON GROUND IRAQI TANKS WAITING NEARBY MEMBERS OF IRAQI ARTILLERY POLICE WEARING MASKS AND CARRYING ROCKET-PROPELLED GRENADE LAUNCHERS TANK MOVING AMONG MILITARY VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 5th November 2016 15:54
- Keywords: Qayyara Shoura Mosul Iraq Islamic State Iraq army assault sulphur factory Faleh Hassan Baddaya
- Location: SHOURA, SOUTH OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: SHOURA, SOUTH OF MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00154Y8VNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi joint forces liberated a sulphur factory south of Mosul on Friday (October 21), a day after Islamic State militants set it on fire releasing toxic smoke over the area.
Members of the police artillery unit were seen in the vicinity of the freed factory wearing face-masks to protect them from the fumes.
Head of Iraq's police artillery forces, Brigadier General Faleh Baddaya, said his troops were able to capture 20 more villages around the district of Qayyara.
The offensive to seize back Mosul from Islamic State is going faster than planned, Iraq's prime minister said on Thursday (October 20), as Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new military operation to clear villages on the city's outskirts.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None