- Title: Iraqi army moves towards IS-held area near Mosul
- Date: 21st October 2016
- Summary: BARTELLA, IRAQ (OCTOBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HEAVY SMOKE RISING FROM SEVERAL LOCATIONS VARIOUS OF DAMAGE IN THE AREA TWO IRAQI ARMOURED CARS VARIOUS OF ARMOURED CARS DRIVING THROUGH THE AREA IRAQI ARMY TANK MAN STANDING OVER COUNTER TERRORISM SERVICE ARMOURED CAR VARIOUS OF TANKS DRIVING THROUGH THE AREA MEMBER OF IRAQI PARLIAMENT, SALEM MOHAMMED, SPEAKING TO SOLDIERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MEMBER OF IRAQI PARLIAMENT, SALEM MOHAMMED, SAYING: "Today we are at a crossroads near Hamdaniya district, which is controlled by Daesh. Thank god, the Iraqi security forces and the Iraqi army have reached the gate leading to the Hamdaniya district, and hopefully we will be able to liberate Hamdaniya. We are also close to Bartella. The Peshmerga forces were able to liberate nine villages near Bartella and in the outskirts of Hamdaniya. Families are returning to the liberated villages to check up on their homes." SMOKE OVER THE AREA
- Embargoed: 5th November 2016 11:41
- Keywords: Islamic State Bartella. Mosul Hamdaniya
- Location: BARTELLA, IRAQ
- City: BARTELLA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00154Y7OZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi army forces were preparing on Friday (October 21) for a push to liberate Hamdaniya district to the east of Mosul.
On Thursday they captured the village of Bartella, which lies around 27 km away from Mosul.
The offensive to seize back Mosul from Islamic State is going faster than planned, Iraq's prime minister said on Thursday, as Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new military operation to clear villages on the city's outskirts.
A member of the Iraqi parliament, Salem Mohammed, said the Iraqi army and Kurdish Peshmerga forces continued to liberate villages around Mosul.
"Today we are at a crossroads near Hamdaniya district, which is controlled by Daesh (Islamic State)," he said, adding they were hoping to liberate the district.
On Friday, Islamic State launched a major counter-attack on the city of Kirkuk, killing 18 members of the security forces and workers at a power station.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None