- Title: Iraqis return to liberated village of Tarjella to find their homes in ruins
- Date: 21st October 2016
- Summary: TARJELLA, NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ (OCTOBER 21, 2016) (REUTERS) SMALL PICK-UP TRUCK PARKED NEAR DESTROYED HOMES WOMAN STANDING IN FRONT OF HER DESTROYED HOME WOMAN AND CHILD STANDING NEAR THEIR DESTROYED HOME MAN STANDING BEHIND TRUCK NEAR DAMAGED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED RESIDENT OF TARJELLA, SAYING: "They (Islamic State) put the car bomb here to cause most damage. Look, the building is collapsed." MAN LOADING HIS TRUCK PICK-UP TRUCK DRIVING THROUGH DEBRIS OF VILLAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED RESIDENT OF TARJELLA, SAYING: "Tarjella is destroyed, there is nothing left there. It is unliveable. Everything in it is destroyed. Daesh (Islamic State) did this, planes hit it, and it is filled with explosives. My garden is full of explosives." PICK-UP TRUCK DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 5th November 2016 12:19
- Keywords: Tarjella Bartella Mosul Iraq attack assault Islamic State Kurdish Peshmerga
- Location: TARJELLA, NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ
- City: TARJELLA, NEAR BARTELLA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00154Y7XON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of Iraq's recently liberated village of Tarjella, near Bartella, returned to their homes on Friday (October 21) to find rampant destruction and explosives left by the Islamic State.
An Iraqi army elite unit and Kurdish fighters on Thursday (October 20) announced the capture of the city of Bartella, which lies around 27 km. away from Mosul.
A woman returning to Tarjella stood staring incredulously at the remains of her home with a young child, while another family decided to pack up and leave again after a brief visit to the village.
The offensive to seize back Mosul from Islamic State is going faster than planned, Iraq's prime minister said on Thursday, as Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new military operation to clear villages on the city's outskirts.
Mosul is the last major stronghold held by Islamic State in Iraq and around five times the size of any other city the group has held.
The push to capture it is expected to become the biggest battle fought in Iraq since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None