- Title: Cher goes classic for new residencies
- Date: 19th October 2016
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JULY 06, 2011) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CHER AT 'ZOOKEEPER' PREMIERE LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - APRIL 24, 2013) (REUTERS) CHER AT AFI'S NIGHT AT THE MOVIES
- Embargoed: 3rd November 2016 21:57
- Keywords: Cher residency Las Vegas stage fright reinvention
- Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- City: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; UNIDENTIFIED FILMING LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA00854OAN9P
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Cher announced on Tuesday (October 18) that she is returning to Las Vegas for another North American residency stint.
The Oscar and Grammy-winning performer has dabbled in numerous musical genres over the years from dance and pop to rock and folk music. She has also starred in a number of high profile films.
When asked how the residency's title 'Classic Cher' was going to manifest itself, the 70 year-old replied "You try to take the most important things from each decade and you try to distill them into a story about yourself and you try to do it with film clips and music and movement and costume and then you make it as entertaining as you can and I don't know if that's 'Classic Cher' but it's Cher."
Although the singer has performed thousands of times, she admits she still suffers from stage fright.
"Right before I go on, I always want my mother," she said. "I'm like 'I want my mother' but then you go on and then you go on and then you go 'This isn't quite as bad as I thought' and then when the end of the first song happens, it's like 'ok, this is kind of good' and then it gets better and better."
During an interview with Reuters, she recalled how she was mocked when she first had a residency in Las Vegas for having a giant shoe she would slide down during the performance. She also recalled how she went to the cinema to watch the trailer for Mike Nichol's "Silkwood" and the audience laughed when her name came up. However, her residency and the film both turned out to be successes for the artist. She even won a Golden Globe for her role in "Silkwood."
Long before Lady Gaga, Cher was synonymous with her eccentric style of dress. However, despite undergoing several career changes while remaining inside the entertainment industry, she dislikes anyone saying she's reinvented herself.
"I just never understand that because I've never reinvented anything," she said. "I mean, I'm the wheel. I couldn't reinvent it."
She also had advice for people who are trying to chase their dreams.
"If nobody believes in you, you've got to just stiffen your backbone and just do it. Put one foot in front of the other and never give up because I know so many people if you looked at them on paper they wouldn't have looked like they would have amounted to anything and yet some of the greatest stars have come from what doesn't look good on paper," she said.
'Classic Cher' starts at the Park Theater at Monte Carlo in Las Vegas on February 8 through to the 25. She will then perform at The Theater at MBM National Harbor in Maryland in March before returning to Las Vegas in May.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None