- Title: Anguished scenes after gunmen shoot worshippers at Afghan shrine
- Date: 11th October 2016
- Summary: WOMAN CRYING OVER THE DEAD BODY OF HER RELATIVE PEOPLE STANDING OVER DEAD BODIES OF RELATIVES KILLED IN THE ATTACK WOMEN CRYING OVER THE DEAD BODIES OF THEIR RELATIVES
- Embargoed: 26th October 2016 19:38
- Keywords: Afghanistan gunmen shrine shooting Kabul Shi'ite Ashura
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Insurgencies
- Reuters ID: LVA00253KBBRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
An unknown number of gunmen entered a shrine in the Afghan capital of Kabul on Tuesday (October 11) and opened fire on worshippers gathered to commemorate a major Islamic holy day, police officials said.
A police official, who asked not to be named as he was not authorized to speak publicly, said at least seven people had been killed and 22 wounded, with the toll expected to rise.
Ministry of Public Health officials said at least 18 people injured in the attack had been taken to hospitals in the city for treatment.
The attack began just before 8 p.m. (3:30 p.m. GMT), police said, with witnesses reporting an explosion followed by gunfire.
Two police sources put the number of attackers at three, but they differed on how many of the gunmen remained alive.
Security forces at the scene had evacuated the shrine, one of Kabul's largest, said Kabul police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi.
The attack occurred as potentially hundreds of Shiite Muslims had gathered to observe the Ashura holy day, which commemorates the 7th Century death of a grandson of the prophet Mohammed.
The attackers were dressed in police or military uniforms, according to a police official.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None