- Title: U.S. and South Korea begin joint naval drill
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREAN DEFENCE MINISTRY BUILDING SOUTH KOREAN NATIONAL FLAG (CENTRE) AND DEFENCE MINISTRY FLAGS (LEFT AND RIGHT)
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 03:48
- Keywords: U.S. naval drill North Korea provocations
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00253F8CHX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The United States and South Korea began a joint naval drill on Monday (October 10) in South Korea in a show of force against North Korean provocations.
The United States has deployed nuclear-powered aircraft carrier "USS Ronald Reagan" along with 7 warships as South Korea mobilizes about 40 warships.
"South Korean and the U.S. navies will conduct "Invincible Spirit 2016" drill in all the waters around the whole Korean peninsula from today till (October) 15th," said South Korean defence ministry spokesman, Moon Sang-gyu, at a regular news briefing.
"This drill aims at showing the allied forces' strong commitment to counter a series of North Korean provocations such as a nuclear test and improve their maritime interoperability," Moon added.
The naval drill called "Invincible Spirit 2016" kicked off as the North's is believed to be ready for another nuclear test at any time and there has been speculation it could mark the October 10 anniversary of the founding of its Workers' Party.
"(North Korea) is ready to conduct a nuclear test anytime so it depends on its decision," said South Korea's Chief of Public Affairs in the Joint Chief of Staff (JCS), Jeon Ha-gyu.
North Korea has been testing different types of missiles at an unprecedented rate this year, and the capability to mount a nuclear warhead on a missile is especially worrisome for its neighbours South Korea and Japan.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None