- Title: Thailand kicks off second gathering of Asian regional leaders
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (OCTOBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** FLAGS OF ASIA COOPERATION DIALOGUE (ACD) MEMBER STATES THAI PRIME MINISTER PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA GREETING DELEGATES / IRANIAN PRESIDENT, HASSAN ROUHANI, SHAKING HANDS WITH SULTAN OF BRUNEI, SULTAN HASSANAL BOLKIAH / ROUHANI, BOLKIAH, AND PRAYUTH TAKING THEIR SEATS SIGN READING (English) "2ND ACD SUMMIT" ASIAN LEADERS SITTING FOR GROUP PHOTO (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) BOLKIAH, PRAYUTH, AND THE AMIR OF THE STATE OF KUWAIT, HIS HIGHNESS SHEIKH AL-AHMAD AL-JABER AL-SABAH, SITTING (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) VICE PRESIDENT OF MYANMAR U MYINT SWE, SRI LANKAN PRESIDENT MAITHRIPALA SIRISENA, ROUHANI, AND BOLKIAH SITTING (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER OF QATAR AHMED BIN ABDULLAH BIN ZAID AL-MAHMOUD, LAOTIAN PRESIDENT THONGLOUN SISOULITH, CAMBODIAN PRIME MINISTER HUN SEN, AND U MYINT SWE SITTING DELEGATES FROM ASIAN COUNTRIES SITTING FOR GROUP PHOTO PRAYUTH, ROUHANI, AND OTHER DELEGATES GETTING UP DELEGATES WALKING TOWARDS BUILDING INTERIOR OF MEETING ROOM FOR THE ACD SUMMIT LEADERS AND DELEGATES SITTING IN MEETING FLAGS OF ACD MEMBER STATES (SOUNDBITE) (Thai) THAI PRIME MINISTER, PRAYUTH CHAN-OCHA, SAYING: "Our gathering today is sending an important signal to the global community that Asia is now ready to thrive with inclusiveness and unity by combining our strengths into one to move towards the building of a true "Asia Community" in the future." ROUHANI SITTING AND LISTENING MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER NAJIB RAZAK SITTING HUN SEN SITTING AND LISTENING VARIOUS OF MEETING IN PROGRESS SHEIKH AL-AHMAD AL-JABER AL-SABAH AND OTHER DELEGATES FROM KUWAIT SITTING AND LISTENING VARIOUS OF MEETING IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 07:59
- Keywords: Thailand Prayuth Asia Cooperation Dialogue summit Asia regional community ACD
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- City: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00153F8E2T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thailand officially kicked off the second gathering of leaders and delegates from the Asian region on Monday (October 10) in Bangkok.
The Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) summit, joined by all 34 member states this year, is aimed at discussing the vision of building a future "Asian Community".
The ACD says it hopes to ultimately build the community based on promoting interdependence among member states, drawing on regional strengths, and expanding trade and market links.
"Our gathering today is sending an important signal to the global community that Asia is now ready to thrive with inclusiveness and unity by combining our strengths into one to move towards the building of a true "Asia Community" in the future," Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said during his opening remarks.
The regional gathering was inaugurated in Thailand's Cha-Am district in 2002, but the first summit was not held until 2012 in oil-rich Kuwait.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None