- Title: Security tight across Pakistan for Ashura festival
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (OCTOBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FLAG MARCH BY RANGERS AND POLICE THROUGH SENSITIVE AREAS IN KARACHI VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN ON MOTORBIKES POLICEMEN ON POLICE VEHICLE POLICEMAN INSIDE VEHICLE POLICEMEN ON GUARD OUTSIDE IMAMBARGAH, A SHI'ITE MOSQUE POLICEMAN WITH AK-47 GUN ON GUARD ON ROUNDABOUT (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE (EAST), FAISAL ABDULLAH CHACHAR, SAYING: "We have covered the sensitive areas in the city's east, which was our target area. The message we want to give to the public is that even during Moharram, the police and Rangers are with you to safeguard your lives and properties." SCOUTS FRISKING SHI'ITES AS THEY ARRIVE PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH METAL DETECTOR GATES AS THEY ENTER PLACE OF WORSHIP PEOPLE WAITING TO ENTER PLACE OF WORSHIP SHI'ITES SITTING INSIDE PLACE OF WORSHIP SECURITY OFFICIAL MONITORING CCTV CAMERA IN POLICE CONTROL ROOM SCREEN SHOWING CCTV CAMERA COVERAGE OF DIFFERENT LOCALITIES IN KARACHI POLICEMAN IN CONTROL ROOM ISLAMABAD , PAKISTAN (OCTOBER 8, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES DRIVING PAST LAHORE, PAKISTAN (OCTOBER 7, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE GUARDING ROAD LEADING TO IMAMBARGAH SHI'ITES BEATING THEIR CHESTS AS CEREMONIAL HORSE IS ADORNED FOR PROCESSION CEREMONIAL HORSE (DEPICTING HORSE OF IMAM HUSSAIN, GRANDSON OF PROPHET MOHAMMAD) COVERED WITH BLOOD-SPLATTERED SHEET SHI'ITES BEATING THEIR CHESTS SMALL BOYS BEATING THEMSELVES POLICEMEN GUARDING ENTRANCE OF IMAMBARGAH POLICE VAN PARKED NEAR ENTRANCE OF IMAMBARGAH POLICEMAN INSIDE VAN CCTV CAMERAS VARIOUS OF WOMEN ENTERING IMAMBARGAH ELDERLY MAN BEATING HIS CHEST MEN BEING FRISKED AS THEY ENTER IMAMBARGAH (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE LAHORE CITY, MOHAMMAD NAVEED, SAYING. "We issued a comprehensive, robust security plan, and we followed proper SOPs (standard operating procedures). For all the gatherings, we ensured a three-tiered security check - all the pilgrims who come there are properly checked before they enter." VARIOUS OF SHI'ITES ENTERING IMAMBARGAH
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 05:28
- Keywords: Pakistan Shi'ite Ashura security festival
- Location: ISLAMABAD/ LAHORE/ KARACHI , PAKISTAN
- City: ISLAMABAD/ LAHORE/ KARACHI , PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00153F8EV9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Security was tight in Pakistan as Shi'ite Muslims gathered to mark a 10-day event that will culminate in Ashura on Wednesday (October 12).
Ashura commemorates the death of the Prophet Mohammad's grandson Imam Hussein in battle 1300 years ago.
The mourning period of Muharram came at a particularly sensitive time in the country amid violence against Shi'ite Muslims and sectarian clashes.
To combat the threat of bombings, authorities have deployed thousands of policemen as well as CCTV cameras and metal detector gates.
Shi'ites Muslims, which make up nearly 15 percent of the Islamic world, mourn for a month as part of the festival.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None