- Title: Shi'ite Muslims in Damascus mark Ashura
- Date: 10th October 2016
- Summary: DAMASCUS, SYRIA (OCTOBER 10, 2016) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING IN ALLEY OF DAMASCUS' ZAIN AL-ABIDEEN DISTRICT BLACK BANNER QUOTING SAYING FROM ISLAM'S PROPHET MOHAMMAD IN ARABIC: "HUSSEIN IS FROM ME, AND I AM FROM HUSSEIN, GOD LOVES THOSE WHO LOVE HUSSEIN." PEOPLE BEATING THEIR CHESTS CHILD BEATING HIS CHEST VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEATING THEIR CHESTS CLOSE OF FACE OF SHI'ITE MOURNER LARGE PAINTING OF REVERED SHIA IMAM ALI (HUSSEIN'S FATHER) CONGREGATION GATHERED LISTENING TO CLERIC RECALLING STORIES FROM THE EVENT THAT KILLED HUSSEIN POSTER SHOWING PICTURES OF SOME PEOPLE FROM THE AREA WHO HAVE BEEN KILLED DURING THE RECENT ONGOING SYRIAN CONFLICT VARIOUS OF MOURNERS CRYING AS THE STORY OF IMAM HUSSEIN'S KILLING IS READ OUT BY CLERIC
- Embargoed: 25th October 2016 23:29
- Keywords: Syria Ashura Hussein battle Islam Shia Shi'ite Damascus
- Location: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- City: DAMASCUS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00153FCYFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Shi'ite Muslims in the Syrian capital Damascus commemorated their holy day of Ashura on Monday (October 10) through the streets of the capital's Zain al-Abideen district.
Participants of the procession beat their chests to display their sadness at the killing of their revered figure - Imam Hussein (the grandson of Islam's Prophet Mohammad) - over 1,330 years ago in what is now the Iraqi city of Kerbala.
Hussein was killed by the Muslim caliph Yazid, who ruled the Islamic world from his base in Damascus.
The event is celebrated annually on the 10th of Muharram, the first month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
The occasion passed without incident on Monday after the procession was targeted by Sunni militants from the neighbouring district of Daraya last year. Daraya has since fallen back into the hands of the Syrian government.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None