- Title: South Korea conducts security exercise
- Date: 6th October 2016
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (OCTOBER 6, 2016) (REUTERS) MOCK BOMB EXPLODING AROUND MANNEQUINS FIRE TRUCKS ARRIVING FIREFIGHTER CARRYING OUT CARDIOPULMONARY RESUSCITATION ON MANNEQUIN AMBULANCE WORKERS CARRYING MANNEQUIN ONTO STRETCHER MOCK ATTACKER IN CAR SHOOTING AND SPECIAL WEAPONS AND TACTICS (SWAT) TEAM ARRIVING MEMBER OF SWAT TEAM AIMING SWAT TEAM AIMING TOWARDS CAR HELICOPTER IN THE AIR SWAT TEAM RAPPELLING DOWN FROM HELICOPTER (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL COUNTER-TERRORISM CENTRE, KIM JIN-NAM, SAYING: "Following the new national anti-terrorism system established after the anti-terror law was implemented, we are conducting this anti-terror exercise to check our readiness against terrorism which has been prepared by all branches of government." VARIOUS OF MOCK ATTACKERS IN MOCK-UP OF HOUSE VEHICLE CRASHING INTO MOCKED-UP WALL AND SOLDIERS GETTING INSIDE VARIOUS OF SWAT TEAM AND SOLDIERS GOING INSIDE OF MOCKED-UP HOUSE DRONE LOADED WITH BOMB EXPLODING AND CARS BURNING FIRE TRUCK PUTTING OUT FLAMES VARIOUS OF FIRE-FIGHTERS PUTTING OUT FIRE SECURITY DRILL IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 21st October 2016 09:37
- Keywords: South Korea North Korea anti terror drill security tensions
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00152V99OL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korea conducted a security drill in Seoul on Thursday (October 6) to check the country's readiness against possible terror activities amid high tensions on the Korean peninsula.
The drill organised by the country's National Counter-terrorism Centre established in June, rehearsed several hypothetical incidents including a suicide bombing, mass shooting, and taking of hostages at public places.
"Following the new national anti-terrorism system established after the anti-terror law was implemented, we are conducting this anti-terror exercise to check our readiness against terrorism which has been prepared by all branches of government," said Kim Jin-nam, director of the anti-terror centre.
About 500 personnel from the police, military, fire department and local government participated in the exercise at the Jamsil Sports Complex.
The South Korean Prime Minister's Office said the drill was the biggest of its kind.
North Korea has conducted nuclear and ballistic missile tests at an unprecedented rate this year, including the launch of a satellite in February that was widely seen as a test of long-range ballistic missile technology.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None