- Title: Gazans gather to protest Israeli forces impound of activist yacht
- Date: 6th October 2016
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (OCTOBER 6, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BOATS IN THE PORT OF GAZA PROTEST BY THE NATIONAL COMMUNITY TO BREAK THE SIEGE OVER GAZA SINCE ISRAELIS PREVENTED THE WOMEN ACTIVISTS GAZA-BOUND BOAT FROM BREACHING THE MARITIME OF THE GAZA STRIP SIGN READING IN ARABIC "THE NATIONAL COMMUNITY TO BREAK THE SIEGE OVER GAZA WELCOMES FLOTILLA OF FREEDOM NUMBER FOUR" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SENIOR SPOKESMAN FOR HAMAS, SAMI ABU ZUHRI, SAYING: "The Israeli occupation abduction of Zaytouna flotilla represents an Israeli piracy and a war crime committed against this ship. This crime reflects the reality of the Israeli siege that is imposed on the Gaza Strip. We call upon the international community to take responsibility to protect the ships that aim at breaking the siege and to end the real imprisonment that is imposed on more than two million Palestinian citizen" VARIOUS OF GIRLS HOLDING SIGNS READING ONE IN ENGLISH "THANK YOU WHOLEHEARTEDLY FOR YOUR SOLIDARITY, ARAB WOMEN FOR JERUSALEM" ANOTHER ONE IN ARABIC "OUR HEARTS ARE WITH YOU, AGAINST VIOLATIONS" BOATS AT THE PORT OF GAZA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SENIOR SPOKESMAN FOR HAMAS, SAMI ABU ZUHRI, SAYING: "While the ship did not arrive at the port, we consider its message received, which aims at embarrassing the international community and pressuring the occupation. We call upon the ongoing of sending these ships towards the Gaza Strip" MEN ON BOATS IN PORT VARIOUS OF BOATS IN PORT MAN STANDING NEXT TO PORT
- Embargoed: 21st October 2016 12:06
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians Gaza women activists boat
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00152VAH53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Gazans gathered on the beach on Thursday (October 6) to protest against Israeli step that prevented the Zaytouna flotilla which carries a group of women activists from breaching the maritime blockade of the Gaza Strip.
The interception of the boat was denounced by Hamas as an "act of war.
Senior spokesman for Hamas, Sami Abu Zuhri, said: "The Israeli occupation abduction of Zaytouna flotilla represents an Israeli piracy and a war crime committed against this ship. This crime reflects the reality of the Israeli siege that is imposed on the Gaza strip. We call upon the international community to take responsibility to protect the ships that aim at breaking the siege and to end the real imprisonment that is imposed on more than two million Palestinian citizens."
The Israeli navy, which maintains a maritime blockade in the Mediterranean off the Gaza Strip to prevent munitions being smuggled in, stopped a yacht on Wednesday (October 5) sailed by a dozen women hoping to reach Gaza and was towing it to the Israeli port of Ashdod, the military said.
Male and female forces boarded the "Zaytouna-Olivia," a small yacht which set sail from Barcelona last month. A military spokeswoman said no force was required to stop the vessel.
Israel has stopped previous attempts to sail to Gaza and most people on board boats were deported after brief questioning.
"In accordance with international law, the Israeli navy advised the vessel numerous times to change course prior to the action. Following their refusal, the navy visited and searched the vessel in international waters in order to prevent their intended breach of the lawful maritime blockade of the Gaza Strip," a military statement said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None