- Title: Hurricane Matthew takes aim at the Bahamas
- Date: 6th October 2016
- Summary: NASSAU, BAHAMAS (OCTOBER 6, 2016) (REUTERS) PALM TREES BLOWING IN WIND AS SEEN THROUGH FRONT DOORS OF HOTEL LOBBY PALM TREE BLOWING IN WIND CLOSE-UP OF PALM LEAVES IN WIND MAN PHOTOGRAPHING STORM VARIOUS OF TREES BLOWING IN WIND AS RAIN FALLS
- Embargoed: 21st October 2016 15:15
- Keywords: Hurricane Matthew storm Bahamas wind rain Nassau
- Location: NASSAU, BAHAMAS/ INTERNET
- City: NASSAU, BAHAMAS/ INTERNET
- Country: Bahamas
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00152VBYVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hurricane Matthew, the fiercest Caribbean storm in nearly a decade, slammed into the Bahamas on Thursday (October 6) and intensified as it barrelled toward the southeastern United States after killing at least 69 people, 65 in Haiti, on its northward march.
Matthew is the strongest hurricane in the Caribbean since Felix in 2007. On Tuesday and Wednesday it whipped Cuba and Haiti with 140 mile-per-hour (225 kph) winds and torrential rain, pummelling towns, crops and homes and killing livestock.
In Nassau, the Bahamas capital located on New Providence, it was raining steadily on Thursday morning and high winds were bucking palm trees. Minor damage to roofs was reported but there was no flooding yet or reports of injuries.
Matthew was heading northwest at about 12 mph (19 kph) and was expected to continue on this track on Thursday, turning north-northwest on Thursday night, the National Hurricane Center said. The eye, or center, of the storm was expected to pass near Andros Island and New Providence in the northwestern Bahamas on Thursday.
Matthew, which displaced thousands of people in Haiti, smashing homes and inundating neighbourhoods, was predicted to strengthen from a Category 3 to 4 storm en route to Florida's Atlantic coast, making landfall there on Thursday night, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.
More than 12 million U.S. residents were under hurricane watches and warnings, according to the Weather Channel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None