- Title: Opposition MP's car explodes in Georgia's capital, injuring passersby
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: TBILISI, GEORGIA (OCTOBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE NEAR EXPLOSION SITE / DAMAGED CAR IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF INVESTIGATORS EXAMINING DESTROYED CAR, TAKING PICTURES VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CAR POLICE ON SITE
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 07:42
- Keywords: Tbilisi explosion car blast Georgia opposition
- Location: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- City: TBILISI, GEORGIA
- Country: Georgia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00452Q93K7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
A Georgian opposition lawmaker was unhurt when his car exploded in the capital Tbilisi on Tuesday (October 4) night but five passersby were injured, Rustavi-2 television reported, just three days ahead of a parliamentary election.
Givi Targamadze from the United National Movement (UNM), the largest opposition party, was in the front seat next to the driver when the blast occurred.
The driver also escaped unhurt but three passersby were slightly injured and two others were taken to hospital.
Media quotes the country's Prime-Minister Georgy Kvirikashvili as saying the blast was a provocation aimed to destabilise the situation in Georgia.
Georgia's election pits the ruling Georgian Dream Party against the UNM, which lost a national election in 2012.
In another incident, two men were shot and wounded on Sunday at an open-air speech given by independent candidate and former defense minister Irakly Okruashvili in the town of Gori.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None