- Title: Germany's Steinmeier welcomes U.N.'s de Mistura in Berlin
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER FRANK-WALTER STEINMEIER WELCOMING UNITED NATIONS SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SYRIA STAFFAN DE MISTURA IN BERLIN STEINMEIER AND DE MISTURA LEAVING
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 19:00
- Keywords: German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVA00152QDHL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier welcomed Staffan de Mistura, the UN Special Envoy for Syria, on Wednesday (October 5) in Berlin.
Senior officials from the United States, Britain, France and Italy arrived earlier on Wednesday for a meeting in Berlin to discuss the Syrian crisis.
A spokesman for Germany's foreign ministry said in a statement there were no international proposals to impose sanctions on Russia, but a senior European diplomat said all options were being discussed, including sanctions, even if that could prove extremely difficult for Europe.
Brussels on Sunday proposed a new push to get aid to rebel-held eastern Aleppo and EU leaders will debate their ties with Russia in Brussels on Oct. 20-21.
The EU has sanctions in place against Moscow over the conflict in Ukraine. Italy and some other EU states have said these should be eased.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None