- Title: CAS reduces Sharapova's doping ban to 15 months
- Date: 4th October 2016
- Summary: MODELS ON CATWALK SHOWING SHARAPOVA'S ACCESSORIES IN TENNIS GEAR MORE OF SHARAPOVA
- Embargoed: 19th October 2016 14:03
- Keywords: Maria Sharapova tennis doping CAS Russia
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / PARIS, FRANCE
- City: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA00352LAF5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS A WHITE FLASH TO SEPARATE TWO SOUNDBITES
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Tuesday (October 4) reduced by nine months former world number one tennis player Maria Sharapova's two-year doping ban.
An arbitration panel "found that Ms. Sharapova committed an anti-doping rule violation and that while it was with 'no significant fault', she bore some degree of fault, for which a sanction of fifteen months is appropriate," Switzerland-based CAS said in a statement. The ban took effect from Jan. 26, 2016.
Five-times grand slam winner Sharapova was banned by the International Tennis Federation in June following a positive test for the banned drug meldonium during January's Australian Open.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.