- Title: Rescued refugees arrive in Sicily
- Date: 4th October 2016
- Summary: CATANIA, SICILY, ITALY (OCTOBER 4, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF 'VOS HESTIA' SHIP ARRIVING IN PORT STAFF ABOARD 'VOS HESTIA' 'SAVE THE CHILDREN' SIGN ON BOAT RED CROSS TENTS WAITING IN PORT VARIOUS OF RED CROSS STAFF WAITING TO RECEIVE MIGRANTS MIGRANT BEING WHEELED INTO TENT ON GURNEY VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS BEING GIVEN MEDICAL CHECK-UPS ROW OF RED CROSS TENTS MIGRANT BEING WHEELED ON GURNEY TO WAITING AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 19th October 2016 13:05
- Keywords: migrants refugees Italy Sicily Save the Children
- Location: CATANIA, SICILY, ITALY
- City: CATANIA, SICILY, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA00152LAY4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A ship carrying over 200 refugees arrived in the Sicilian port of Catania on Tuesday (October 4).
The Vos Hestia vessel, operated by Save the Children, was bringing the refugees to safety after they were rescued in the Mediterranean on Sunday (October 2).
Save the Children said many of those on board the vessel were children travelling alone.
Workers from the children's charity waited in the port to offer support and medical assistance to the refugees as they disembarked.
Separately, over 6,000 migrants were rescued and 22 found dead on the sea route to Europe on Monday (October 3), one of the highest numbers in a single day, Italian and Libyan officials said.
Italy's coast guard said at least nine migrants had died and a pregnant woman and a child had been taken by helicopter to a hospital on the Italian island of Lampedusa, halfway between Sicily and the Libyan coast.
According to the International Organisation for Migration, around 132,000 migrants have arrived in Italy since the start of the year and 3,054 have died.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None