- Title: Sharapova says she cannot wait to return after ban reduced
- Date: 4th October 2016
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JUNE 22, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SHARAPOVA (GREY LEGGINGS) PRACTISING FOR WIMBLEDON LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 23, 2012) (REUTERS) WIMBLEDON SIGN VARIOUS OF MARIA SHARAPOVA PRACTISING LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JUNE 20, 2014) (REUTERS) SHARAPOVA PRACTISING
- Embargoed: 19th October 2016 15:04
- Keywords: Maria Sharapova doping tennis CAS ban Russia
- Location: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: INTERNET / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: Various
- Topics: Sport,Tennis
- Reuters ID: LVA00252LBW3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russia's former world number one Maria Sharapova said she could not wait to return to tennis in April after her drugs ban was reduced to 15 months on Tuesday (October 4).
"Tennis is my passion and I have missed it. I am counting the days until I can return to the court," The 29-year-old told her fans on her website and Facebook page.
Sharapova, a five-times grand slam champion, was originally handed a two-year ban - backdated to start on Jan. 26, 2016 - by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) in June following a positive test for the drug meldonium.
"I'm coming back soon and I can't wait," said Sharapova who is now free to return to action on April 26 next year.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None