- Title: Two Brussels police stabbed in possible terrorist attack - prosecutor
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICERS PREVENTING MAN TO WALK PAST CORDONED OFF AREA / POLICE TAPE BLOOD STAIN ON GROUND POLICE TAPE BLOOD STAIN POLICE OFFICERS BLOOD STAINS ON GROUND BOMB DISPOSAL UNIT VEHICLES POLICE OFFICER IN THE FOREGROUND / FORENSIC POLICE WALKING IN THE BACKGROUND FORENSICS TAKING PHOTO VARIOUS OF FORENSICS WORKING ON CAR BOMB DISPOSAL UNIT VEHICLE, FORENSIC POLICE EXAMINING CAR FORENSIC POLICE LOOKING AT GUN THEY FOUND IN CAR BOMB DISPOSAL UNIT VEHICLES / POLICE CAR FORENSIC POLICE LOOKING AT GUN FOUND IN CAR, AND TAKING IT AWAY VARIOUS OF FORENSIC POLICE WORKING ON SCENE AND CAR MEASURING INSTRUMENT FORENSICS BEHIND POLICE TAPE
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 17:44
- Keywords: Europe Attacks Belgium Stabbing Police brussels Schaarbeek Schaerbeek
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA00152QCMRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two police officers were stabbed in Brussels on Wednesday (October 5) in what prosecutors said could have been a terrorist attack.
Brussels is on high alert after bombings in March killed 32 people at the city's airport and in a subway carriage.
According to public broadcaster VRT, one officer was stabbed in the neck and another in the stomach. The attacker then broke the nose of a third policeman who had arrived on the scene.
The attacker, identified as 43-year-old Belgian Hicham D., was shot in the leg and taken away by ambulance, prosecutors said in a statement, adding that the police officers' wounds were not life-threatening.
"The provisional results of the investigation indicate that it could be a potential terrorist attack," federal prosecutors said in a written statement, without elaborating further.
Early on Wednesday afternoon, the city's Gare du Nord railway station was closed for an hour because of a bomb alert. Rail operations resumed after bomb disposal teams had checked the area.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None