- Title: Bahamians ready for Hurricane Matthew
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: NASSAU, BAHAMAS (OCTOBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SUPERMARKET CUSTOMERS EXITING SUPERMARKET VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS INSIDE SUPERMARKET BUYING WATER AND FOOD (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED NASSAU RESIDENT SAYING: "I am very afraid, yes I am. We have never experienced a Category Four or Five hurricane in the Bahamas so I am afraid. But I'm prepared now to ride the storm out." VARIOUS OF TRAVELLING SHOTS OF NASSAU STREETS, RAIN COMING IN VARIOUS OF TREES SWAYING IN WIND VARIOUS OF BEACH SCENE WITH DARKENING SKY
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 19:50
- Keywords: Bahamas supplies Hurricane Matthew preparedness concerns Category Three
- Location: NASSAU, BAHAMAS
- City: NASSAU, BAHAMAS
- Country: Bahamas
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA00152QDTFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hurricane Matthew, the fiercest Caribbean storm in almost a decade, powered toward the Bahamas and Florida's eastern coast early on Wednesday (October 05) after battering Haiti and Cuba with torrential rains and killing at least 17 people.
The hurricane, which the United Nations said created the worst humanitarian crisis to hit struggling Haiti since a devastating 2010 earthquake, whipped Cuba and Haiti with 140 mile-per-hour (230 kph) winds on Tuesday, pummelling towns, farmland and resorts.
The eye of the storm was about 105 miles (169 km) south of Long Island in the Bahamas on Wednesday morning and it was expected to be very near the east coast of Florida by Thursday evening.
In Nassau, Bahamians rushed to supermarkets to stock up on supplies as the skies grew dark.
"I am very afraid, yes I am. We have never experienced a Category Four or Five hurricane in the Bahamas so I am afraid. But I'm prepared now to ride the storm out," one Nassau resident told Reuters.
Maximum sustained winds eased to about 120 mph (193 kph) by late Wednesday morning but reports indicated the hurricane was likely to strengthen again slightly in the coming days.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None