- Title: World powers seek more dollars to keep Afghanistan running
- Date: 5th October 2016
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 5, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE VANS OUTSIDE EU COUNCIL BUILDING EUROPEAN FLAG EU MEMBER STATES FLAGS UNDER SIGN FOR CONFERENCE ON AFGHANISTAN
- Embargoed: 20th October 2016 10:46
- Keywords: Afghanistan EU Kerry Ghani Mogherini Tusk
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA00152QB51J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Regional powers have agreed to try to revive Afghanistan's stalled peace process after almost 40 years of conflict, the EU's foreign policy chief said on Wednesday (October 5), as the West sought to raise some $13 billion to fund the country through 2020.
Facing a resurgent Taliban 15 years after U.S. forces helped drive the militant group from Kabul, more than 70 governments in Brussels promised more financial support, in tandem with NATO's ongoing military backing.
While a multi-billion-dollar annual donor pledge looked beyond doubt, diplomats said, the European Union took on the more complex challenge of seeking a negotiated peace, bringing together the United States, China, India, and Pakistan at a dinner on Tuesday night.
There have been several attempts in recent years to broker a settlement between the Western-backed government in Kabul and the Taliban, but all have failed. Without the militants at the table, experts say it is hard to envisage a meaningful solution.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None