- Title: Libyan forces battle Islamic State in Sirte
- Date: 3rd October 2016
- Summary: SIRTE, LIBYA (OCTOBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS WALKING OUTSIDE FIELD HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF SIGN READING (Arabic): "ISLAMIC STATE / ISLAMIC POLICE" VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC POLICE VESTS ON GROUND SOLDIER TAPPING ON DOOR DOOR WITH ISLAMIC STATE FLAG ON IT VARIOUS OF WHITE BOARD WITH ARABIC WRITING ON IT ON TABLE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED CARS IN BUILDING BUILDING RUBBLE VARIOUS OF INTERIOR OF DAMAGED VEHICLE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED BUILDINGS AND DEBRIS DAMAGED VEHICLE / DEBRIS DAMAGED WALL VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS STANDING BY ARMOURED VEHICLE AND RUBBLE SOLDIERS GATHERED OUTSIDE BUILDING SOLDIER MAKING PEACE SIGN VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS STANDING NEAR RUBBLE SOLDIERS MOVING INTO BUILDING SOLDIERS RUNNING TOWARDS BUILDING TANK OUTSIDE DAMAGED BUILDING MAN IN TANK (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) TRUCK PARKED NEAR COAST (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) TANK NEAR COAST / SHOT BEING FIRED VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS SHOUTING (Arabic): "ALLAHU AKBAR" AND MAKING PEACE SIGN VARIOUS OF LIBYAN FLAGS
- Embargoed: 18th October 2016 18:25
- Keywords: Sirte Islamic State Libya battle
- Location: SIRTE, LIBYA
- City: SIRTE, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00152GCOQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Libyan forces battled Islamic State militants in Sirte on Monday (October 3), as part of a months-long fight to gain control of the city.
Closing in on Sirte's third district, the security forces recovered weapons and equipment from the insurgents.
Forces dominated by fighters from Misrata and aligned with Libya's U.N.-backed government have been battling to capture Islamic State's former stronghold for more than four months.
Supported since August 1 by U.S. air strikes, they have taken control of most of the city and have been besieging militants trapped in a thin residential strip near Sirte's seafront for several weeks.
Their advance has been slowed by Islamic State snipers, improvised explosive devices and suicide bombings in close-quarter street battles.
Occasional ground attacks are interspersed by rest periods that allow fighters to regroup and hospitals to clear casualties.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None