- Title: Parisians appalled by Kardashian robbery
- Date: 3rd October 2016
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) POLICE CAR POLICE OFFICER AND BYSTANDERS OUTSIDE APARTMENT BUILDING ON RUE TRONCHET, EIGHTH ARRONDISSEMENT, WHERE KIM KARDASHIAN HAS STAYED BEFORE NUMBER "7" ON BUILDING DOOR MAN STEPPING OUT OF APARTMENT, POLICE STANDING ON SIDEWALK MEDIA FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARIS RESIDENT, TATIANA, SAYING: "It's especially awful to get attacked in this way. Stealing money is one thing, but I would say assault is even more terrible." (SOUNDBITE) (French) PARIS RESIDENT, ELISABETH, SAYING: "It's sad, it's sad for Paris. It gives a bad image. It's unfortunate that it happened during Fashion Week." WOMEN LOOKING AT APARTMENT BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (French) UNIDENTIFIED PARISIAN RESIDENT SAYING: "Personally, I haven't followed this. I don't think it's news, because Kim Kardashian is not really news. It doesn't really worry me at all, sorry." PEOPLE WALKING PAST POLICE OFFICER POLICE CAR PARKED ON STREET
- Embargoed: 18th October 2016 09:36
- Keywords: Kim Kardashian robbery Paris gunpoint theft jewels fashion week
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts/Culture/Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA00152G9NPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Masked men robbed Kim Kardashian at gunpoint in the early hours on Monday (October 3), leaving her tied up in the bathroom of her luxury residence in Paris and stealing millions of dollars' worth of jewellery, police and her publicist said.
Five attackers, wearing ski masks and clothes with police marking, struck around 3 a.m. (0100 GMT) inside the exclusive apartment block where Kardashian was staying while attending Paris Fashion Week, a police source told Reuters.
They stole a box with 5-6 million euros' ($5.6-$6.7 million) worth of jewels and a ring worth about 4 million euros, the source said.
Parisians grimaced at the news, calling it terrible and sad.
"It's especially awful to get attacked in this way. Stealing money is one thing, but I would say assault is even more terrible," one Paris resident Tatiana said.
The robbery occurred in the middle of Paris Fashion Week, which usually sees several celebrities attending runway shows by haute couture designers.
"It's sad, it's sad for Paris. It gives a bad image. It's unfortunate that it happened during Fashion Week," Paris resident Elisabeth said.
The armed robbery could add to worries about safety in Paris, hit by a series of attacks by Islamist militants last year.
Tourist numbers to what is traditionally the most visited city in the world fell 6.4 percent in the first half of 2016 as many Asians and Americans stayed away.
Others saw the robbery as a trivial event, with one resident saying: "I don't think it's news, because Kim Kardashian is not really news. It doesn't really worry me at all, sorry."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None