- Title: Japan big manufacturers' mood flat in fragile economic recovery -BOJ tankan
- Date: 3rd October 2016
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON TOKYO STREETS VARIOUS OF PILES OF CONTAINERS IN HARBOUR FORKLIFT MOVING IN HARBOUR CONTAINER TRUCKS MOVING CRANES MOVING OTA, JAPAN (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS BEING ASSEMBLED INSIDE FACTORY
- Embargoed: 18th October 2016 05:25
- Keywords: economy TANKAN Bank of Japan fragile
- Location: TOKYO AND OTA, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO AND OTA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA00352G9Q2T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Confidence among big Japanese manufacturers was flat in the three months to September and service-sector sentiment worsened to its lowest in nearly two years, the Bank of Japan's closely watched tankan survey showed on Monday (October 3), underscoring a fragile economic recovery.
Big firms plan to raise capital expenditure in the current fiscal year, the tankan survey showed, offering some relief to policy-makers hoping the Bank of Japan's aggressive stimulus will boost business investment.
The results followed a mixed run of recent indicators, which highlighted doubts over whether years of massive money-printing are doing any good, as the central bank rebooted its monetary policy framework last month.
"The government would like to expect the Bank of Japan to do the best to achieve its goal as soon as possible," Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters in a news conference on Monday.
The headline index gauging big manufacturers' sentiment stood at plus 6 in September, unchanged from three months ago and roughly in line with a median market forecast of plus 7, the quarterly survey showed.
The Nikkei showed little reaction to the Bank of Japan's tankan survey.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None