- Title: Kingston streets flood quickly as first bands of Matthew drop heavy rains
- Date: 2nd October 2016
- Summary: KINGSTON, JAMAICA (OCTOBER 2, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PUSHING CAR THROUGH FLOODED STREET CARS DRIVING IN STREET AS WATER RISES RIVER OVERFLOWING CLOSE OF RIVER WATER MORE OF CARS ON ROAD DURING STORM
- Embargoed: 17th October 2016 21:49
- Keywords: Hurricane Matthew Kingston Jamaica flooding
- Location: KINGSTON, JAMAICA
- City: KINGSTON, JAMAICA
- Country: Jamaica
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00152BBDJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Major roads in Kingston, Jamaica quickly flooded on Sunday (Oct. 2) as the first bands of Hurricane Matthew lashed the Caribbean island.
Cars quickly stalled as rain-drenched owners attempting to push their vehicles through streets that flooded within minutes of the torrential downpour.
Inland waterways quickly overflowed onto streets adding flooding conditions.
The storm was advancing northwest at 5 miles per hour (7 km. per hour), located about 295 miles (475 km.) southeast of Kingston on Sunday afternoon. The hurricane center ranked it at Category 4 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None