- Title: Funeral held for Jordanian writer shot over caricature seen to insult Islam
- Date: 28th September 2016
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MEN CARRYING CASKET INTO CHURCH MEN PLACING CASKET ONTO PLINTH IN CHURCH MEN OPENING CASKET PEOPLE GATHERING AROUND OPEN CASKET
- Embargoed: 13th October 2016 15:43
- Keywords: Nahed Hattar Jordan funeral writer shot killed religion cartoon funeral
- Location: AL-FUHEIS, JORDAN
- City: AL-FUHEIS, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA00251HDXL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than a thousand people attended the funeral of a Christian writer in Jordan on Wednesday (September 28) who was shot dead outside a court where he was to stand trial after sharing on social media a cartoon image seen as insulting Islam.
The writer, Nahed Hattar, was shot by a former Muslim preacher on the steps of the palace of justice on Sunday (September 25). The assailant gave himself up to the police near the scene.
Hattar was laid to rest in his hometown of Al-Fuheis.
He was arrested last month after sharing on social media a cartoon image of a bearded man in heaven smoking in bed with women and asking God to bring him wine and clear away his dishes. The writer was released on bail but charged with contempt of religion and inflaming religious tension under the country's strict blasphemy laws.
His death has shaken a country unaccustomed to such killings and raised fears of tensions between Muslims and the minority Christians who wield political and economic influence.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.