- Title: Real Madrid disappointed by draw against Dortmund - coach Zidane
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: DORTMUND, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID COACH ZINEDINE ZIDANE ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING (ACCORDING TO SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION): "We, I, we are all unhappy. We played a great match, we played the match we set out to but in the end it is the third match in a row that has ended in a draw and the players don't deserve that. At the end of the day it's not a bad result but when we are playing the way we are and we have chances, when we are leading 2-1 with three minutes to go, it's a rubbish feeling." JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) REAL MADRID COACH, ZINEDINE ZIDANE, SAYING IN RESPONSE TO QUESTION ABOUT DEFENDER SERGIO RAMOS (ACCORDING TO SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATION): "I don't see it as you did that Sergio didn't play well. I think we all played a good match from the first minute to the last, but three or four minutes before the end of the match you concede a goal and football is just like that, there are bad phases and I think we are in a bad phase at the moment but we will get out of it again. The players have to know that they don't deserve it. You know, sometimes they suffer on the pitch. It's complicated for them, it's complicated to find the right words to say to them, but we are professionals, they are professionals - they are very intelligent and we will recover and think about the next match, and we will make a change." BORUSSIA DORTMUND COACH THOMAS TUCHEL ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE TUCHEL SHOWN ON CAMERA SCREEN (SOUNDBITE) (English) BORUSSIA DORTMUND COACH, THOMAS TUCHEL, SAYING: "At the end I think it's fair. I think we played a very good first half, very dominant and a good rhythm and found good spaces. We lacked a bit precision in the last third, in the last pass, in the pass before the last pass, so we lacked precision, we lacked a bit aggressiveness in this part of the game to get the lead, to get more clear chances, because it was possible." TUCHEL SPEAKING JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA DORTMUND COACH, THOMAS TUCHEL, SAYING: "We in the training team were very conscious that after the Freiburg match this was a special Tuesday evening. An official match against Real Madrid is something you don't dare dream of as a youth trainer. When you think you have found your passion and you are happy you don't dare to have those kind of dreams. So when it comes to pass, it's really a gift and you have to enjoy it." JOURNALISTS
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 23:45
- Keywords: BVB Dortmund Real Madrid draw Champions League Zinedine Zidane Thomas Tuchel
- Location: DORTMUND, GERMANY
- City: DORTMUND, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00151CD9A7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane could not hide his frustration after his side conceded a late equaliser to draw 2-2 at Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday (September 27).
Substitute Andre Schurrle's 87th minute rocket pulled an impressive Dortmund side level for the second time in the game, denying Real’s victory would have taken them three points clear at the top of Group F.
Dortmund had wasted a series of chances to equalise before Schurrle struck, but Zidane still lamented his team's failure to kill off the game, having also conceded a late leveller to draw 2-2 at Las Palmas last Saturday.
"We are all unhappy. We played a great match, we played the match we set out to but in the end it is the third match in a row that has ended in a draw and the players don't deserve that," Zidane told reporters after the match.
"It's a rubbish feeling," Zidane said, but added that the team would now look ahead to the next match and work to move out of what he described as a "bad phase".
Real looked to be on their way to a victory after Raphael Varane tapped in from a few yards out to restore their lead midway through the second half, after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had cancelled out Cristiano Ronaldo's opener.
Schurrle's late leveller signalled a third successive draw for the European champions, who had won 16 games in La Liga until drawing 1-1 with Villarreal last week.
Dortmund's coach Thomas Tuchel said he thought the result was fair.
"I think we played a very good first half, very dominant and a good rhythm and found good spaces," Tuchel said, but added that the team lacked precision at times, particularly towards the end of the match.
Dortmund and Real each have four points, while Sporting Lisbon are third on three points after beating visitors Legia Warsaw 2-0.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None