- Title: Gladbach get ready to face soccer giants Barca in Champions League game.
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: MOENCHENGLADBACH, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) MOENCHENGLADBACH PLAYERS ARRIVING FOR TRAINING VARIOUS OF MOENCHENGLADBACH TRAINING VARIOUS OF MOENCHENGLADBACH RUNNING PLAYERS KICKING BALL PLAYERS TRAINING PLAYERS CATCHING FOOTBALL PLAYERS TRAINING BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH CAPTAIN, LARS STINDL AND BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH COACH ANDRE SCHUBERT ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE STINDL AND SCHUBERT AT NEWS CONFERENCE WIDE OF NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH COACH ANDRE SCHUBERT, SAYING: "I can only say it as I see it. We will prepare ourselves for this game completely normally, the same as we would against any other opponent. But, of course we know that we are playing against a world class team and of course the interest in this game shows exactly that it is a special team that we are playing tomorrow." CAMERA FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH COACH ANDRE SCHUBERT, SPEAKING ABOUT BARCELONA PLAYER LIONEL MESSI, SAYING: "It is, of course, a situation which creates mixed feelings. On the one hand, he is just such an exceptionally good player that we would have all loved to measure ourselves against him, to see him play here. For the fans to see him play in this stadium. But it isn't going to happen. I am never happy about a player injuring themselves, that would be very sad. But of course in the second where this has happened we know that it is still a very good team that is playing us tomorrow." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH COACH ANDRE SCHUBERT, SAYING: "We will try to dampen the strengths of the opposition and to use our own strengths. That is the principle of all the games we play. We are dangerous at the front, we have to also play courageously and we have to have the courage to play football against this team and of course we need to come up with a plan about how to defend against such a team." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (German) BORUSSIA MOENCHENGLADBACH CAPTAIN, LARS STINDL, SAYING: "Of course we can feel the hype around this game: the amount of media here, the representatives. I think that at the beginning of the draw it was, of course, a topic for us, that we were going to be able to play against such a big, world-class team but of course we have prepared the way we prepare for all our games, in a professional way. This is of course against the backdrop that tomorrow it will be an exceptional home game that we are being given the chance to play. It was one of the incentives to get here. And last year we worked very hard for it and now we are allowed to play this game, but will approach the game like every other." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS STINDL AND SCHUBERT LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 14:12
- Keywords: soccer Moenchengladbach Champions League Messi
- Location: MOENCHENGLADBACH, GERMANY
- City: MOENCHENGLADBACH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA00151CD7PB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Borussia Moenchengladbach were on the training pitch on Tuesday (September 27) ahead of their Champions League match against Barcelona.
The German side take on the Spanish champions in their second Group C match on Wednesday (September 28) after losing 4-0 at Manchester City in their first game.
Coach Andre Schubert admitted that Barca presented a challenge.
"We will prepare ourselves for this game completely normally, the same as we would against any other opponent. But, of course we know that we are playing against a world class team and of course the interest in this game shows exactly that it is a special team that we are playing tomorrow," said Schubert, who on Tuesday signed a two-year contract extension that runs until 2019.
Barcelona's star striker Lionel Messi will miss the match, having been sidelined for three weeks with a groin injury. But his team was unaffected by their leader's absence on Saturday (September 24), firing five goals past Sporting Gijon in a show of force that will be a tough challenge for Moenchengladbach.
Schubert said his team would try to play to its strengths at the front and approach the match "courageously". They will be looking to bounce back from their defeat at Manchester City and maintain their 11-match winning streak at home after their 2-0 victory over Ingolstadt on Saturday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None