- Title: Boeing MH17 crash site ahead of Dutch investigation results
- Date: 28th September 2016
- Summary: NEAR HRABOVE, DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MEMORIAL TO MH17 FLIGHT VICTIMS SET AT CRASH SITE NAMEPLATE AT MEMORIAL READING (Russian): 'IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED - 298 PEOPLE - INNOCENT VICTIMS OF CIVIL WAR' NAMEPLATE READING (Russian): 'HALT AND PRAY, FEEL A RUN OF MINUTES. HERE A BOEING FELL AND AT A TERRIBLE MOMENT IT TOOK SOMEONE'S LIFE" VARIOUS OF TOYS ON GROUND MEMORIAL, TOYS AND COWS IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF COWS IN FIELD SNIZHNE, DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE (SEPTEMBER 28, 2016) (REUTERS) ROAD LEADING TO TOWN OF SNIZHNE, ROAD SIGN SIGN WITH NAME OF TOWN SNIZHNE FOUNDED IN 1784 TOWN OUTSKIRTS MINE HILL VARIOUS OF SITE FROM WHERE SUPPOSEDLY A PLANE WAS SHOT DOWN VIEW OF ROAD LEADING TO TOREZ TOWN CLOUDS IN SKY VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT STREETS ROAD AND HOUSES
- Embargoed: 13th October 2016 12:05
- Keywords: Ukraine eastern Ukraine Beoing MH17 plane crash
- Location: DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE
- City: DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA00151HCU2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:International prosecutors investigating the downing of a Malaysian airliner two years ago have concluded on Wednesday (September 28) it was shot down by a Russian-made missile fired from rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine.
A surface-to-air missile hit Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 on its way from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 people aboard, most of them Dutch citizens.
At the time of the incident, pro-Russian separatists were fighting Ukrainian government forces in the region. The Boeing 777 broke apart in midair, flinging wreckage over several kilometres (miles) of fields in rebel-held territory.
The village of Hrabove closest to the crash site is located between the two rebel strongholds of Luhansk and Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.
A makeshift memorial has been erected on the side of the village and is still decorated with toys. The sign at the memorial reads 'halt and pray'.
The prosecutors from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine said on Wednesday (September 28) MH17 was shot down from rebel-held village of Pervomaysk.
Prosecutors cannot file charges because there is no international agreement on what court a case would be heard in.
The downing played a significant part in a decision by the European Union and United States to impose sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine conflict, and East-West tensions escalated to levels not seen since the Cold War ended.
Ukrainian and Western officials, citing intelligence intercepts, have blamed pro-Russian rebels for the incident. Russia has always denied direct involvement in the Ukraine conflict and rejects responsibility for the destruction of MH17.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None