- Title: Rudy Giuliani, Jesse Jackson hit spin alley after presidential debate
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) FORMER NEW YORK CITY MAYOR RUDY GIULIANI, SUPPORTER OF REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE DONALD TRUMP, WALKING WITH REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER NEW YORK CITY MAYOR RUDY GIULIANI, SUPPORTER OF REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE DONALD TRUMP, SAYING: "Donald Trump won the debate, hands down. More importantly, she proved she couldn't be president of the United States. Her ignorance of the economy is astounding. To think that you are going to tax people more and create more jobs is insane. To make that attack on Mr. Trump about women, from a woman who takes money -- hundreds of millions -- from countries that hang women, kill women, don't allow them to drive, treat them as cattle is outrageous. (Reporter: 'Do you think Lester Holt treated Trump fairly?') Extremely unfairly, particularly in his interference with regard to unconstitutionality..." CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST JESSE JACKSON SPEAKING TO REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST, JESSE JACKSON, ON WHY HE DOESN'T SUPPORT TRUMP: "The birther movement, he won't raise the minimum wage for working people, he won't support affordable healthcare, his attacks on Mexico, our next door neighbor. So he was good. He was supporting President Clinton when he supported the Wall Street Project, he was traveling with President Clinton when he did it." JACKSON LISTENING TO REPORTER JOHN PODESTA, CHAIRMAN OF THE 2016 HILLARY CLINTON PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN, WALKING WITH REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) JOHN PODESTA, CHAIRMAN OF THE 2016 HILLARY CLINTON PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN, ON CLINTON'S PERFORMANCE: "She was terrific, I said. She was clear, I think she was talking directly to the American people. I think she was someone who they could relate to." PODESTA SPEAKING WITH REPORTERS VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF DEBATE HALL AT HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 05:34
- Keywords: debate Rudy Giuliani Jesse Jackson John Podesta spin alley Clinton Trump
- Location: HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA00151CC85J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO AS INCOMING
U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican rival Donald Trump faced off on Monday (September 26) in the first of a series of televised debates that could prove crucial to who wins the White House.
Just after the debate at Hofstra University in suburban New York ended, former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, civil rights activist Jesse Jackson and John Podesta, chairman of the 2016 Hillary Clinton presidential campaign hit spin alley, surrounded by reporters.
The debate, the first of three face-to-face match-ups between the two candidates, began at 9 p.m. on Monday (0100 GMT on Tuesday). Opinion polls leading up to the event showed a tight race between Clinton, a former secretary of state, and Trump, six weeks before the November 8 election.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None