- Title: Sri Lanka exhumes body of murdered journalist
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (SEPTEMBER 27, 2016) (REUTERS) TENT IN CEMETERY WHERE SLAIN JOURNALIST LASANTHA WICKRAMATUNGA IS BURIED VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS AT GRAVE SITE VARIOUS OF JOURNALISTS GATHERED OUTSIDE THE GATES OF THE CEMETERY (SOUNDBITE) (Sinhala) ATHULA RANAGALA, LAWYER REPRESENTING THE FAMILY OF MURDERED JOURNALIST LASANTHA WICKRAMATUNGA, SAYING: "There are contradictions in the report by Dr. Mohan Silva who operated on Lasantha Wickramatunga, the post mortem report and the government department's analysis. Therefore the criminal investigations department requested that the court exhume the body to find out whether he was shot dead or whether a special weapon was used." POLICE WORKING AT GRAVE SITE EXHUMATION IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF POLICE WORKING AT GRAVE SITE
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 08:41
- Keywords: Sri Lanka murder journalist Lasantha Wickramatunga Rajapaksa critic investigation
- Location: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- City: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Reuters ID: LVA00151CBE4L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The body of Sri Lankan newspaper editor Lasantha Wickramatunga, who was killed in January 2008, was exhumed on Tuesday (September 27) after the investigation into his death was reopened.
Sri Lankan police have recently reopened and sped up a number of investigations into murders and assaults on activists and journalists during the previous government's rule.
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa has frequently been accused of suppressing independent critical voices during his time in power, and at the time Wickramatunga's death drew strong international criticism.
"There are contradictions in the report by Dr. Mohan Silva who operated on Lasantha Wickramatunga, the post mortem report and the government department's analysis," Athula Ranagala, the lawyer representing Wickramatunga's family, told journalists.
"The criminal investigations department requested the court exhume the body to find out whether he was shot dead or whether a special weapon was used," he added.
Local media say police have arrested an army intelligence officer suspected of involvement.
The exhumation was carried out at Colombo's main cemetery by a team of three specialists, local media added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None