- Title: FARC rebels gather to watch peace agreements signed
- Date: 27th September 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS OF GROUNDS NEAR EVENT
- Embargoed: 12th October 2016 04:24
- Keywords: Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia Timochenko FARC Colombia peace
- Location: YARI PLAINS, COLOMBIA
- City: YARI PLAINS, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00251CB9DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) gathered on Monday (September 26) to watch the signing of an historic peace deal between their highest commander and the Colombian government.
Some thousand rebels gathered at a camp in Colombia´s southern Yari Plains, watching the ceremony on big screens remaining from the group´s Tenth Conference concluded on Saturday in which FARC delegates unanimously approved the deal.
Applause erupted across the rows of men and women, as their leader Rodrigo Londono, known by his nom de guerre Timoleon Jimenez or Timochenko, signed the agreement with a pen made from a bullet.
"A combination of fear but also lots of happiness and hope that all this can change. Colombia deserves better opportunities and all of us Colombians can be included in society," said FARC rebel, Mireya Andrada.
"It is a great step for peace because, of course, peace is not just for the FARC, nor for the government, but for the Colombian people, it is a great step," added fellow rebel, Jeferson.
Speaking at the ceremony in Cartagena, Londono made an official apology to the nation for all the hurt caused, whilst Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos welcomed the group as a future political party into democracy.
The peace accord will be put to public vote in a plebiscite on October 2.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.