- Title: Bullets become pens for Colombia peace agreement with FARC
- Date: 26th September 2016
- Summary: CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA (SEPTEMBER 26, 2016) (REUTERS) COLOMBIAN AIR FORCE PLANE ON TARMAC U.N. SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON DISEMBARKING FROM PLANE VARIOUS OF BAN SHAKING HANDS WITH COLOMBIAN OFFICIALS BAN GETTING INTO CAR
- Embargoed: 11th October 2016 17:13
- Keywords: FARC peace Colombia bullets pen agreement
- Location: BOGOTA AND CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA
- City: BOGOTA AND CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA
- Country: Colombia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA003517EBEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A symbolic ´bullet-pen´ will be used by Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and rebel leader Timoleon Jimenez to sign an historic peace deal on Monday (September 26) ending 52-years of civil war in the South American nation.
"Bullets wrote our past, education our future" reads the inscription on 500 pens produced from cartridges fired from rifles and machine guns throughout the war that killed a quarter of a million people.
"These were used in combat, in the Colombian conflict, so we had to get rid of all the gunpowder and carry out the whole process to turn it into a ´bullet-pen´," said Education Minister, Gina Parody, responsible for the project which took six weeks to complete.
United Nations General Secretary Ban Ki-Moon will receive a bullet pen among other foreign dignitaries who will preside over the event beginning 5 p.m. (2200 G.M.T.).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None