- Title: RUSSIA-POP CULTURE FESTIVAL Russian pop culture fans gather for costumed festival
- Date: 28th October 2014
- Summary: SAINT-PETERSBURG, RUSSIA (RECENT) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXHIBITION PAVILION COSPLAY CONTEST PARTICIPANTS PREPARING THEIR COSTUMES WOMEN WITH FAKE CLAWS HISSING AT CAMERA MAN IN ARMOUR WITH FAKE SWORD VARIOUS OF MAN GETTING HIS FACE COVERED WITH MAKE-UP COSTUMED PEOPLE WITH BALLOONS WIDE OF MAKE-UP ROOM (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) ALISA, PARTICIPANT OF THE FESTIVAL, SAYING: "Of course, I'm not a princess in real life, though, I think every girl wants to feel like a princess and events like this one certainly give an opportunity (to do it)." MAN WITH BUCKET ON HEAD WOMAN IN ADVENTURE TIME CARTOON CHARACTER COSTUME VARIOUS OF MAN PUTTING ON FAKE BREAST PEOPLE PUTTING ON MAKE-UP MAN PUTTING ON FAKE BREAST MAN WITH SACK ON HEAD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING EXPO HALL MAN TAKING PHOTO WITH MAN IN DARTH VADER COSTUME MAN IN COSTUME OF IRON MAN MEN DRESSED IN DARTH VADER AND CHEWBACCA COSTUMES WOMAN HOLDING FAKE STUFF WOMEN EATING COTTON CANDY (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MARIA SEVELEVA, FESTIVAL MANAGER, SAYING: "It's interesting - they can dress up like any character that they like. They just change their appearance. It is some kind of theatre". MAN AND WOMAN DRESSED IN COSTUMES VARIOUS OF MAN AND WOMEN IN COSTUMES, MAN HOLDING SCYTHE WOMAN EATING COTTON CANDY MAN WITH WHITE HAIR AND FAKE CLAWS
- Embargoed: 12th November 2014 12:00
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAEAERJXU99UTAYPETCP70IA1HF
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Comic and science fiction fans gathered in Russian city of Saint-Petersburg for the annual pop-culture event.
Hundreds of cinema, anime, comic and manga lovers, many dressed in the costumes of their favourite fiction characters, met for the eighth time during the festival which has already become a tradition on the scene.
A variety of entertainment was available for the attendees with various film premiers, video games, and the opportunity to meet writers, artists and experts in the field of pop culture.
One of the highlights of the event was a colourful cosplay competition with around 700 participants. This year's prize fund totaled 100, 000 Russian rubles (2,365 USD). For some it took up to several months to prepare their costumes and to make all the details needed to correspond to the image of their favorite character.
Most of the participants were more excited about the opportunity to show off their costumes than about the prize.
''Of course, I'm not a princess in real life, though, I think every girl would like to feel like a princess and the events like this one certainly give an opportunity to do it," participant of the festival Alisa said.
"It's interesting - they can dress up like any character that they like. They just change their appearance. It is some kind of theatre," Maria Seveleva, manager of the festival said.
The festival combines different mass culture formats: cinema, animation, TV series, comic books, anime, manga, video games and other. A unique fusion of pop culture is celebrated at similar conventions all over the world, from the U.S. to Japan and Russia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None