- Title: THAILAND: CONTEST TO FIND WORLD'S FASTEST ICE CREAM EATER TAKES PLACE IN PATTAYA
- Date: 27th April 1999
- Summary: PATTAYA, THAILAND (APRIL 27, 1999) (REUTERS) WIDE OF CONTEST, CONTESTANTS STANDING BEHIND TABLE FOR START OF FIRST ROUND SCU ICE CREAM TUBS ON TABLE CONTESTANTS STARTING THE CONTEST, VARIOUS OF CONTESTANTS EATING ICE CREAM CLOSE UP SHOTS OF CONTESTANTS EATING ICE CREAM (2 SHOTS) VARIOUS OF CONTEST AND AUDIENCE (2 SHOTS) VARIOUS SECOND ROUND OF CONTEST, VARIOUS TRANSVESTITE COMPETITORS EATING ICE CREAM/ AUDIENCE (5 SHOTS) WS AUDIENCE SV ANOTHER ROUND OF CONTEST, YOUNG BOYS EATING ICE CREAM CLOSE UP OF ICE CREAM IN CONTAINER /PAN BOYS EATING (2 SHOTS) SV/SCU YOUNG GIRLS IN AUDIENCE CHEERING, AUDIENCE LAUGHING (2 SHOTS) VARIOUS OF FINAL ROUND OF CONTEST, CONTESTANTS STUFFING ICE CREAM IN THEIR MOUTHS, VARIOUS OF CONTESTANTS QUICKLY EATING ICE CREAM / AUDIENCE LAUGHING (7 SHOTS) SV WINNER OF CONTEST PORNTHEP PATTANA RAISING HIS SPOON IN THE AIR MV JUDGES/ SV WINNER PRESENTED WITH PRIZE CHEQUE (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 12th May 1999 13:00
- Location: PATTAYA, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Lifestyle
- Reuters ID: LVA120L9YU33PBSKJOPM4FM5G2GF
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Ice cream lovers have been competing in Thailand to win the title of the world's fastest ice cream eater.
Ice cream eaters lined up for the contest which was held at the Fun Museum in Pattaya, Thailand on Tuesday (April 27).
Mountains of ice cream were on hand in a variety of flavours.
The ice cream didn't even have time to start melting as the competitors quickly stuffed as much as possible into their mouths.
Even a group of transvestites indulged in the ice cream frenzy.
Besides having fun, the contestants were hoping to break the Guinness Book of Records title for the world's fastest ice cream eater.
The current title-holder is New Yorker Tony Dodeswel, who ate 2.5 kilograms of ice cream in 31.67 seconds back in 1985.
The winner of this contest didn't beat the record, but 25-year-old Pornthep Pattana managed to eat 1.5 kilograms of ice cream in 15 minutes.
He won a cash prize of 20,000 baht, about 550 U.S.dollars.
He gave away the secret of his success.
"My way of eating ice cream is to eat small portions.It is easier then eating large portions because they are hard to swallow.You can't chew the ice cream during the competition, you just have to swallow it,..it's faster", Pattana said.
The ice cream eating contest was such a success, organisers are already planning on making it an annual event.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None