- Title: BELGIUM: EU not planning to rethink Egypt aid programmes
- Date: 4th July 2013
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (RECENT) (REUTERS) EU FLAGS OUTSIDE EUROPEAN COMMISSION BUILDING EU FLAG
- Embargoed: 19th July 2013 13:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA12UGROMZ8RCWFVHWM2FF6TOM2
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: A European Union official said on Thursday (July 4) he did not know of any plans for the bloc to change its aid programmes for Egypt after the army ousted President Mohamed Mursi.
"I am not aware of any urgent plans to rethink our aid programmes at the moment but, as I say, the dust is still settling on what happened last night," Michael Mann, a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, told reporters.
Mann avoided repeated questions on whether the EU considered what had happened in Egypt to be a military coup.
"You saw the statement that we put out last night, I think the point that I would make is again reflected in the statement that we issued. Is that the most important thing is that all parties in Egypt stay calm, begin a dialogue and above all return to the democratic process as soon as possible," Mann said.
Egypt will swear in an interim leader on Thursday after a tumultuous 24 hours during which the army ousted Mursi and vast crowds celebrated in Cairo and Alexandria amid clashes that cost 14 lives.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None