- Title: ETHIOPIA: AIRLIFT TO EVACUATE ETHIOPIAN JEWS IS COMPLETED.
- Date: 24th May 1991
- Summary: ADDIS ABAB, ETHIOPIA (24-25 MAY 1991) (REUTERS - MOHAMED AMIN) (MAY 24) GV VIEW OF ADDIS ABABA 0.04 GV/SVS/CUS PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE ISRAELI EMBASSY AND BEING ORGANISED BY OFFICIALS/ SIGN FOR EMBASSY OF ISRAEL ( IN HEBREW AND LOCAL LANGUAGE) VARIOUS OF CROWDS (6 SHOTS) 0.41 SV PEOPLE ADMITTED TO EMBASSY 0.47 SVS AND CUS OFFICIALS DIRECTING CROWDS TO BUSES (5 SHOTS) 1.01 GV PAN AND SVS BUSES DEPARTING FOR AIRPORT AND PEOPLE WAVING GOODBYE. (3 SHOTS) 1.18 (MAY 25) GV EL AL PLANE TAXIING ON RUNWAY 1.21 GV EL AL PLANE IN SKY AFTER TAKING OFF 1.25 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 8th June 1991 13:00
- Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
- Country: Ethiopia
- Topics: Religion,Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA2T0GVF3UOE9QN6X3MQPQDI996
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: A massive Israeli airlift to evacuate up to 18,000 Ethiopian Jews from Addis Ababa was completed on Saturday morning (May 25) according to witnesses.
The operation was the same as a 1984-85 airlift codenamed "Operation Moses" that flew to Israel more than 12,000 Falashas or Black Jews from Ethiopia.
The airlift began around midday on Friday (May 24). Israeli officials said the plan was to complete the military-backed operation within 36 hours, ahead of any potential change of power in the Ethiopian capital.
Thousands of Falashas surrounded the Israeli embassy in Addis Ababa, pleading to be allowed into the compound. Fleets of buses lined the streets outside the embassy waiting to take the Falashas to the airport where Israeli officials said both El Al and Ethiopian Airlines aircraft waited to provide a continuous shuttle to Israel.
The Falashas are an ancient Jewish sect and have been emigrating to Israel at a gradual rate since Israel and Ethiopian re-established diplomatic ties in late 1989.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None