- Title: USA: Cocoa the goat takes a bite out of the Big Apple
- Date: 10th April 2012
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) BARB ESQUIVEL, TOURIST FROM MICHIGAN, SAYING: "Well, I think no goats in the city, unless the goat is playing on Broadway." FAKRODDIN PUTTING HIS JACKET OVER HIS GOAT'S EYES FAKRODDIN SITTING WITH GOAT IN TIMES SQUARE
- Embargoed: 25th April 2012 13:00
- Location: Usa, Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Nature / Environment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA31VGPS2ESSAR1X400JV52JLJ9
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Cocoa the goat spends most of her time at her cottage in New Jersey with her owner Cyrus Fakroddin, but while she's content with life in the suburbs, she craves the hustle and bustle of the big city.
And living just 25 miles outside of New York City allows this kid to enjoy the best of both worlds.
So on a sunny Spring Saturday, Cocoa hooves it into the city.
Her first stop is Central Park.
Sprawled out across a rock, Fakroddin plays the harmonica, while Cocoa is lulled into an afternoon nap.
"Cocoa doesn't even know she is a goat and you see that in her, but she loves hanging out with people," Fakroddin said.
"Like with us, she's got all this stuff to eat, but what she really wants to do is sit here, hang out with us. She doesn't want to go graze or anything. Any other goat would be, I'm out of here and they're there, but not her. She doesn't like goats. She doesn't like farms. She likes the people in the city. Strange goat, but I like her."
It's not her first time touring the Big Apple but Cocoa is certainly a celebrity, drawing attention to city dwellers and tourists wherever she goes.
"My mom...she passed away just recently and one thing that she said was, you know, if you can put a smile on somebody's face, even a smile is charity, so I think of her all the time when I take her out cause she causes that. She gives that to people. It's great," Fakroddin says.
After a visit to the park, Cocoa has worked up an appetite, so it's time to take the subway for some Italian in Little Italy.
She's certainly a fan of pizza, but prefers a good paper napkin for an afternoon snack.
Comfortably full, Cocoa moves on to the bright lights of Times Square where she's met with adoring fans.
"If this is really his pet, why not? It doesn't hurt," said Valeria Castelli, a tourist visiting from Italy who doesn't mind the idea of keeping a goat as a pet.
But not everyone thinks that the city an appropriate place for Cocoa to be wandering about.
"Well, I think no goats in the city," said Barb Esquivel, a tourist from Michigan.
"Unless the goat is playing on Broadway."
After a long day of roaming the city streets, this star needs a break from the bright lights and attention.
Cocoa drifts off to sleep with Fakroddin's jacket over her face, as she dreams of her next adventure.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None