- Title: ITALY: 45 PEOPLE TAKE PART IN THE "MISS CHUBBY" BEAUTY CONTEST
- Date: 24th July 2004
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CONTESTANT IRENE VODOLA BEING WEIGHED CUTAWAY AUDIENCE VARIOUS OF CONTESTANT GIOVANNI GUIDONI BEING WEIGHED/ CLOSE OF DIAL ON SCALES VARIOUS OF ORGANISER GIANFRANCO LAZZERESCHI AWARDING GIOVANNA GUIDONI, PLACING SASH OVER HER. VARIOUS OF MALE CONTESTANT, WINNER, FABIO TESEO, 206 KG FROM CHIETI, BEING WEIGHED AND ORGANISER GIANFRANCO LAZZERESCHI AWARDING TESEO, PLACING SASH OVER HIM. WIDE OF CROWD APPLAUDING
- Embargoed: 8th August 2004 13:00
- Location: FORCOLI, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA39N2IHAJAXLWWEN1AYW1W69MT
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Hefty beauty wins Italy's Miss Chubby contest.
Tuscan town Forcoli played host to a unique beauty contest on Saturday (July 24).
To compete in 'Miss Cicciona', which roughly translates as 'Miss Chubby' contest, women have to weigh more than 100 kilos and male contestants have to clock up at least 150 kilos. This year, 40 women and five men vied for the title.
"It's undoubtedly exciting. Its as if we, the so-called different people, are, for one day, the same as the slim people, the very slim people," said 132-kg contestant Maria Grazia Fiacchi.
The heavyweight beauties arrived from all over Italy for the 16th edition of the beauty contest with a difference.
"Many come to have fun and others to win. I'm here for fun but I said to myself that this year I'd like to bring home a winning sash," said Cecilia Garbini, from Pisa, also weighing in at 132 kilograms.
The festivals organiser, Gianfranco Lazzereschi, said it was an important festival for a category of people usually barred from the spotlight, to finally get recognition.
"Our slogan is 'finally a catwalk for large sizes' because I though t it was only right to give space to people that no-one would normally want to photograph," Lazzereschi told Reuters.
Each contestant had three minutes to mesmerize an enthusiastic audience of more than 5,000 people, with the majority either choosing to dance or strip down to the bare minimum.
And, after the provocative performances, it was time to get down to business, with contestants stepping up on the scales for the much-awaited moment of truth.
Young 20-year-old Giovanna Guidoni crushed the opposition with her 189 kilos, and organisers say the secret to her success lies in co-owning a restaurant.
Male winner of Mister Ciccione (pronounce CHI-CHO-NE), Fabio Teseo, snatched first prize, weighing in at 206 kilos.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None