- Title: GERMANY: Portugal PM says confident political rift will be overcome
- Date: 3rd July 2013
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (JULY 3, 2013) (REUTERS) PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER PEDRO PASSOS COELHO ENTERING ROOM AT A BERLIN HOTEL AND SITTING DOWN PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PICTURES WIDE OF PODIUM OFFICIALS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER, PEDRO PASSOS COELHO, SAYING: "In this precise moment, there is a problem in my coalition in Lisbon but I will do everything I can to overcome the situation as rapidly as possible." REPORTER TAKING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (English) PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER, PEDRO PASSOS COELHO, SAYING: "I am very confident that very quickly, we can present to the people and to the investors a different way to run the government, assuring political stability." PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PICTURES COELHO GETTING UP AND LEAVING
- Embargoed: 18th July 2013 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVA3ED16CP71OI2ICJGMDRG97TK9
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The political rift in Portugal will be quickly overcome and Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho will do everything in his power to resolve the situation, he told reporters in Berlin on Wednesday (July 03).
"I am very confident that very quickly, we can present to the people and to the investors a different way to run the government, assuring political stability," he said after reiterating that he would not step down.
European shares were dragged lower by banking stocks on Wednesday, after political turmoil in Portugal saw the country's bourse post its worst day in two years and threatened to reignite the euro zone debt crisis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None