- Title: ROMANIA: Bucharest sizzles in 44 degrees
- Date: 7th August 2012
- Summary: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (AUGUST 7, 2012) (REUTERS) HEAT SHIMMERING OFF PAVEMENTS THERMOMETRE SHOWING 44 DEGREES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COOLING OFF IN FOUNTAIN MAN SITTING ON BENCH PEOPLE ON STREET
- Embargoed: 22nd August 2012 13:00
- Location: Romania
- Country: Romania
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA3ES8QLKKCGZL2IKYU07NGH0DN
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: While Germany and the UK have seen showers and storms put a damp squib on the summer eastern and central Europe are sizzling in temperatures in the forties.
Romania is in the middle of the hottest summer in 50 years with Tuesday (August 7) hitting 44 degrees, making it the hottest day so far in the whole of Europe.
While Bucharest's citizens gently drifted down river or made use of the city's fountains to cool down, the city has also provided special water cooling installations at bus stops and public places.
On Monday (August 6) a 21-year-old football player from Nigeria died during a football friendly between two local teams as a result of excess heat.
Over 6,700 people have asked for ambulance help in the last 24 hours, suffering from the high temperatures, with some people collapsing on the street. 181 people needed medical help.
Authorities have issued a code orange for 21 counties.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None