- Title: TURKEY: Dead body of missing US tourist Sarai Sierra found in Istanbul
- Date: 2nd February 2013
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (FEBRUARY 2, 2013) (REUTERS) LOCATION WHERE U.S. TOURIST SARAI SIERRA'S BODY WAS FOUND POLICE SECURITY LINE POLICEMEN GUARDING THE SITE VARIOUS OF CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATORS ON SITE POLICE ON SITE
- Embargoed: 17th February 2013 12:00
- Location: Turkey
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA3GBU4IDK5B7DVYDV5E6C8873O
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: The dead body of U.S. tourist Sarai Sierra was found in Istanbul on Saturday (February 2).
Turkish police found Sierra's body near to the historical walls of Istanbul beside the seaside state-run Anatolian news agency said.
Although yet ot be formally identified, the Agency reported that a driving licence belonging to Sierra was found on the body.
Police have since detained nine people on suspicion of murder.
Sarah Sierra first arrived in Istanbul on January 7, and then made a trip to the Netherlands and Germany before returning to Istanbul on January 19.
Police released cctv footage of Sierra at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport from where she flew to Amsterdam, Netherlands. Footage shows Sarai Sierra travelling alone, wearing jeans and a grey hat.
She was supposed to return to the United States on January 22 but didn't show up for her flight.
Sierra's husband Steve Sierra and his brother David Jimenez arrived in the Turkish city on Monday (January 28) to search for her.
An avid photographer, Sarai Sierra travelled to Istanbul on her own after a friend who should have accompanied her had to cancel her trip.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None