- Title: JERUSALEM: Jews attend Passover prayers at Western Wall
- Date: 28th March 2013
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MARCH 28, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HUNDREDS OF JEWS GATHERED TO PRAY AT THE WESTERN WALL YOUNG GIRL EATING A BANANA ELDERLY MAN HOLDING A PRAYER SHAWL OVER HIMSELF SINGING MAN PRAYING MORE OF PEOPLE PRAYING PRIEST LEADING THE PRAYERS FROM A BALCONY/ PEOPLE PRAYING VIEW OF HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT THE WALL MORE OF PEOPLE PRAYING MAN PRAYING WITH PRAYER BOOK MAN WITH HIS HEAD BOWED IN PRAYER TABLE FULL OF PRAYER BOOKS / PEOPLE PRAYING AT THE WALL PEOPLE READING FROM PRAYER BOOKS PEOPLE PRAYING WITH THEIR HANDS PLACED ON THE WALL WESTERN WALL / PEOPLE PRAYING VARIOUS OF ETHIOPIAN JEWS PLAYING INSTRUMENTS AND SINGING
- Embargoed: 12th April 2013 13:00
- Location: Jerusalem
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Religion
- Reuters ID: LVA3HO0090QEIUFKIIL2EZBL6632
- Aspect Ratio:
- Story Text: Hundreds of Jews gathered at the Western Wall in Jerusalem on Thursday (March 28) to attend a mass prayer for the holiday of Passover.
The worshippers attended Birkat Hakohanim, the Priestly Blessing, which draws crowds from across Israel and around the world.
It is held three times a year.
Kohanim, or priests, lead the communal prayers by chanting three consecutive verses of the Torah, one word at a time, in a special song reputedly dating back to the Temple era itself.
The Western Wall is one of Judaism's most sacred sites, located just below the al-Aqsa compound, Islam's third most holy site.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None